Cyano removal

konstantyn75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello team,
I've got Red Sea 92 gallon reef, got everything running for over a year with LPS and SPS successful corals. Now I have red slime cyano bacteria in one corner and it is spreading. My Nitrates and Phosfates are OK. I am about to shock the aquarium with red slime remover chemical. Please could you advise if I should proceed with it or other choices are more adequate. Again. my water parameters are within normal limits of the coral reef.
Thank a lot for your help!!!!!

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said it's in just one corner, but starting to spread out. Any chance that the corner is an area of low flow? Sometimes cyano can be due to areas of very low flow.
Also, what exactly are your parameters?

Funwithreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bad cyano outbreak that I could not get under control despite lots of water changes and various filter media. I ran a couple doses of chemi clean for about 4-5 days and it completely wiped it out. Has not been back since. Just make sure to use an airstone to keep the water oxygenated.

OP
OP
K

konstantyn75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bad cyano outbreak that I could not get under control despite lots of water changes and various filter media. I ran a couple doses of chemi clean for about 4-5 days and it completely wiped it out. Has not been back since. Just make sure to use an airstone to keep the water oxygenated.
Hi Funwithreefer, thank you very much, I think I'll do chemi clean, just ordered air pump with several air stones. Thanks for your message

OP
OP
K

konstantyn75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said it's in just one corner, but starting to spread out. Any chance that the corner is an area of low flow? Sometimes cyano can be due to areas of very low flow.
Hi TJ, I';ve installed extra powerhead and syphoned the red slime, still appears and spreads to my live rock.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A uniquely powerful option

same method, takedown cleaning + skip cycle reset, used on four different tank invasions
the method is powerful because it’s physical work, not lucky dosing. We don’t need to know parameters or species of invasion. We only need reefers who are ready to rock

try all other methods first, then when ready…

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

konstantyn75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry, i missed you question, my parameters:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Phosphates: 0.1
Nitrates: 2
Calcium, Magnesium, Alkalinity, Ph is within limits
Also i have powerful RedSea skimmer
Thanks

Back