Cyano? Spirolina?

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grabbed myself a kid's microscope this weekend to see if I get make some sense of this purple scourge that is wreaking havoc in my tank. It looks like cyano, but I'm thinking it isn't. This is a really cheap toy, so the pics and vids aren't great...I ordered real slides and covers so hopefully I'll be able to focus better with them.

Noticed a little worm dude or something moving around.

Something freaking out on the bottom right... what are the dots? Some moved around, but before I could get the camera on

Same spot

Some stills:

I think I see spirals, but maybe my eyes are playing tricks.
01b7d3462e93b85361f4da45dbf89c84fec343fb6a.jpg

Closest I could get on the little dots.
01b60b0bcbbd89a262dd2343b4b4e2da73c01c4c77.jpg
01caa6d35e6676a4318ae88e461e35af0ae65f543b.jpg
F
019f7512473c85c7fc3652f98780fa9df7fa30789c.jpg

01724ae9dad53a612dfa5c8d1d3a1f7311d3e4d241.jpg
01756b8db4165bffcdd1108dbe2c4044c5e6c7a180.jpg
013529ad3b616a71df49713578b732b64dff903200.jpg
0114704ab4b915575253e5dd7c398ce16e5b8663ee.jpg

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what it looks like. That spot in the middle is where the sample is from.

DF06D64C-F367-4F22-BF1E-E44951E9D891.jpeg

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a really typical cyano-dominated algae patch. Ugly, but probbaly good for the tank. :D

As for ID of all those critters? I've been told that the wiggly worms are very often nematodes. I'm seeing spirals too, but I duno if spirulina is the only candidate there.

Look at PhycoKey (it's a visual guide....no prior knowledge needed) and browse around to see what else (if anything) might fit those pics.

Not sure about the guys with dots....kinda shaped like dino cells, but not sure about that white/reflective spot....never noticed that before in dino pics. (I think you've been in the dino sticky before....compare with some of the photos in there...links to photo searches for the different dino types on the first post.)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah....well that's another path. ;) Keep us updated.

Cyano isn't that hard to beat by normal measures...arguably it shouldn't be beaten at all since it's growing there for a reason and is almost always just a phase. Usually a phase that is on the way toward tank maturity and stability. (Presuming you correct the condition.)

For what it's worth, that looks like a classic settling area for detritus - and it's probably a prime location for another coral or clam!

In addition to detritus settling, there's also a fraction of mucus coming off that clam and any corals in the vicinity – which is a carbon source.

Cyano is probably covering up the detrius area to take advantage of the nutrients being released as other microbes break it down....they're really good at acquiring macro nutrients like N and P even when it's not generally available or limited thanks to denitrification or what have you. (There's probably very little N or P coming from the sand.....just plenty of everything else.)

Bubble algae kinda works the same way...it tries to cover up a patch of detritus and actually grow little root-link things into it and then uses the detritus almost like a plant uses dirt for nutrients.

So don't let your rocks or sand become impacted with detritus. This is the most ideal thing, but takes some effort/dscipline. If it does tend to get compacted, then KEEP IT CLEANED. :) @Paul B has one of the oldest, most successful tanks around and he routinely blasts his rocks and sand with something like a power head to keep them clear. (And he's not a clean tank freak...that is NOT the point at all.)

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind light are you running and how long are you running the white spectrum?

Yes the phosphate could come down a tad bit:)

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah....well that's another path. ;) Keep us updated.

Cyano isn't that hard to beat by normal measures...arguably it shouldn't be beaten at all since it's growing there for a reason and is almost always just a phase. Usually a phase that is on the way toward tank maturity and stability. (Presuming you correct the condition.)

For what it's worth, that looks like a classic settling area for detritus - and it's probably a prime location for another coral or clam!

In addition to detritus settling, there's also a fraction of mucus coming off that clam and any corals in the vicinity – which is a carbon source.

Cyano is probably covering up the detrius area to take advantage of the nutrients being released as other microbes break it down....they're really good at acquiring macro nutrients like N and P even when it's not generally available or limited thanks to denitrification or what have you. (There's probably very little N or P coming from the sand.....just plenty of everything else.)

Bubble algae kinda works the same way...it tries to cover up a patch of detritus and actually grow little root-link things into it and then uses the detritus almost like a plant uses dirt for nutrients.

So don't let your rocks or sand become impacted with detritus. This is the most ideal thing, but takes some effort/dscipline. If it does tend to get compacted, then KEEP IT CLEANED. :) @Paul B has one of the oldest, most successful tanks around and he routinely blasts his rocks and sand with something like a power head to keep them clear. (And he's not a clean tank freak...that is NOT the point at all.)
Well, there is some back story here (isn't there always!?) This tank is actually 2.5 years old. I had a crash about 4 months ago that wiped out 90% of my corals. The clam and acan in the picture are the only two corals that made it. I struggled with keeping any nutrients present in the tank. I'd dose with potassium nitrate and I'd get weird algae that would grow over my zoas (I was having issues with the zoas at the time too). I'd back off of the dosing and it would go away. I tried feeding my one fish more, but there's only so much that does in a 50g tank with one fish. Ultimately, I think my perennial low nutrients did me in.

After the crash, I pretty much didn't want to do anything with the tank and it became overrun with bubble algae. I was ready to tear it down when I decided to just give vibrant a try. I figured if I'm tearing it down anyway, might as well have a story to share with my local club. The vibrant does seem to finally be making a difference.

I've been taking an MJ1200 to my rockwork and blasting the be-hoo-hoo out of it. I was stirring my sand, but my clown got some mystery fungal infection shortly after I started, so I stopped. I think I'll just let this run its course, as you suggest :)

What kind light are you running and how long are you running the white spectrum?

Yes the phosphate could come down a tad bit:)
First time this tank has had any measurable nutrients :) It's the vibrant killing off the algae. I also think my skimmer is just not up to the task. It barely pulls anything out and I know there's junk in there. I recently cleaned the whole thing and it is seemingly running fine. It is an SCA-301. Maybe I'll win the Deltec and this will be a non issue :)

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My conclusion of vibrant, it not worth using. Try backing off your white spectrum to 5 hours. After having a two year battle on and off, all it took was to turn down my white spectrum for 8 hours to 5.5 hour and my tank has been clean ever since and the coral is still grown like crazy. I still run the rest of the spectrums as I did before with times and intesidies. ;)

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My conclusion of vibrant, it not worth using. Try backing off your white spectrum to 5 hours. After having a two year battle on and off, all it took was to turn down my white spectrum for 8 hours to 5.5 hour and my tank has been clean ever since and the coral is still grown like crazy. I still run the rest of the spectrums as I did before with times and intesidies. ;)
Sorry, you asked about lighting....

I run the coral lab lps setting at 40% on an XR15 G4 Pro. Really blue.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, you asked about lighting....

I run the coral lab lps setting at 40% on an XR15 G4 Pro. Really blue.

I started a thread about my battle, link I was on a WWC live sale and one of the guy said the light spectrum they use for grow there corals. They use leds. As I stated before I switch my white to 5.5 at now higher then 30% and like magic in three days the tank was clear and I now clean the glass 1 or two time a week. I keep my Po4 around .03 and they will clime and I dose lanthanum chloride to bring them down. I hardly test for No3's maybe once a month maybe;)

Just try it, or I will refund my advice;):rolleyes:

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a thread about my battle, link I was on a WWC live sale and one of the guy said the light spectrum they use for grow there corals. They use leds. As I stated before I switch my white to 5.5 at now higher then 30% and like magic in three days the tank was clear and I now clean the glass 1 or two time a week. I keep my Po4 around .03 and they will clime and I dose lanthanum chloride to bring them down. I hardly test for No3's maybe once a month maybe;)

Just try it, or I will refund my advice;):rolleyes:
I’ll check my settings. This is the WWC setting. I think whites top out at 25% at 40% intensity if memory serves.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my lighting schedule. The white channels are at 15% with 50% intensity, so 7.5% I think. I don't really understand these charts. They're on from 8:45A to 5:15P (6.5 hours). Are you saying they need to be less than that?

I've seen some discussions, although no schedules, for people using a sawtooth pattern with their lights. Are you familiar?

lightSettings.png

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here are mine
Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 2.41.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 2.40.42 PM.png

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gah! I’ve been trying to find that for 2 weeks! Can you export that to me? Or post it with values for the peaks and valleys?
Export meaning the file used by the light?
I will pull the peaks and valleys tomorrow when I am sitting at the desktop

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Export meaning the file used by the light?
I will pull the peaks and valleys tomorrow when I am sitting at the desktop
Export meaning any detail you can give me that will help me reproduce it. Lol

Back