Cyano treatment - Dr. Tims Refresh/Waste-Away or Chemiclean?

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am battling a cyano outbreak and addressing the root cause. Meanwhile I am going to either use Dr. Tim's Cyano products ( Refresh/WasteAway) or Chemiclean? I was wondering what others have used and experience and any tips? Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks

Nanojoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going the bacterial route of Dr. Tims, it will be a much slower battle. It would work in time as along as you are on top of keeping Nitrates and Phosphates in check during the time of treatment. It would also give you lasting benefits to have those bacterial strains your tank.

That said... Chemiclean does work. I personally have never lost livestock from doing these treatments which i have used many times. Chemiclean will knock back your beneficial bacteria a bit. So ensure you have some nitrate in the water to allow bacteria to bounce back a little.
A good idea would be to have the Dr. Tims on hand for AFTER the treatment is complete, just to add some good guys back into the tank.

Air pump and air stone is a must during the chemiclean treatment. Also, do many waterchanges after you are done the treatment. Typically people run into GHA issues as the dead cyano will cause a small nutrient spike and allow algae to flourish.

There is nothing wrong with taking it slow. Siphoning out what you can and adding bottled bacteria to solve the issue.
In which i would do as i am now a more patient person than i was 6 years ago.. lol.

Good luck!

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So has anyone had good luck with Dr. Tim's Refresh? I would prefer that product with WasteAway as it reintroduces Bacteria, but it seems both products have good and bad reviews.

Richard baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the dr Tim’s in my 220 followed directions to the t and to be honest at the end of several complete treatments it did nothing for me the science seems like it would but for me it did not work I used Chemi clean and then did a deep cleaning of all the sand and blew all the rocks with a small mj1200 pump then I started using reef enhance and live rock enhance and I have not had it return .

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 50.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 62 54.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.0%
Back