Cyano war

AlexLS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have tried battling cyano for a few months.

It is covering the sand bed and rocks for quite some time. I have been trying to remove as much as possible with water changes but keeps coming back.
I believe the trigger was a few months ago when my skimmer failed and started overflowing 2 weeks of junk for a few hours.

Nevertheless the tank sits at around 0.5 ppm NO3, and 0.01-0.02 Po4. I don't try to keep this values, but whatever I do it just drops.

So first I decided to wait it out, after a month and a half did not seem to stop and after each clean came back the same.

So, I decided to feed less, from 3 times a day to only 1. This had absolutely no effect over the cyano but started losing corals and No3 and Po4 dropped to 0. So after few weeks I had to do something as my LPS were shrinking and looking bad.

So back to 3 times a day and lots of cyano. Then I tried the route to fix my nutrients. So slowly I was ramping up No3 and Po4. This, by adding N and P additives.
Now, No3 was easy, once I rise it to a level, it tended to stay there and drop only with water changes.
Po4 however, disappears over a day. For example, unless I was dosing from 0.01 to 0.05 I had no chance to actually rise it, as at the sundown it was back to 0.01 or less again. I had to pump ml of phosphates daily only to swing from 0.05 in the morning to 0.01 in the afternoon. Nevertheless, cyano still stand strong and I believe it actually got worse.
Left the tank alone no more "mad scientist adjustments" and started dossing KZ Cyano Clean bacteria. Week 5 now, absolutely no improvement.
So looked at microscope. Good news, no dino, bad news...cyano crap is there.

I am not a big fan on nukes like cyanoclean. I can't even buy it in this country but as a last resort, I believe in 2 months I may receive my package.
My plan is, however, to put that away and never use it. Until then, I hope I can make some progress and while not completely remove it at least be in a good direction.

I am out of ideas today. My No3 is 0.4, Po4 0.021 (Hanna) dosing just KZ Cyano Clean.
Tank is a reefer250, with RSK 300 Skimmer, around 8 fishes ( pair of clowns, gramma, firefish, pair of tailspot blenny, banana wrasse and a cardinal)
I have a fudge that runs on minimum brightness 3 hour per night just to keep a fist-size chaeto alive.

I attached some pictures. Does anyone has any idea how to battle these better?

20210616_155438.jpg 201973415_4329773957084791_3174487987695865626_n.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

we won the war in two hours here.

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a week of dosing 6% H2o2 every 12 hours at 1ml per 8 gallons. It worked for me. I then also started running an oxidator. Also your Nitrates/phosphates are really low - that will lead to other issues if availability is also low as residual.

OP
OP
AlexLS

AlexLS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a week of dosing 6% H2o2 every 12 hours at 1ml per 8 gallons. It worked for me. I then also started running an oxidator. Also your Nitrates/phosphates are really low - that will lead to other issues if availability is also low as residual.
What do you mean by oxidator?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
AlexLS

AlexLS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today test results: Po4 - 0 and No3 0.2. Would you dose N and P to correct or leave it like this? Or I am just feeding cyano more.

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today test results: Po4 - 0 and No3 0.2. Would you dose N and P to correct or leave it like this? Or I am just feeding cyano more.

Dose but bring it up gradually. If Po4 is really zero, it might remain zero for a while even after you start dosing.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back