Cyanobacteria, nitrate dosing?

dave57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone here experience cyanobacteria with nitrate dosing, trace element dosing and or amino acid dosing? If so what are the steps to irradiate the cyanobacteria? Should I decrease or stop the dosing of nitrates? My PPM is about 10-15. Increase my photoperiod on cheato refugium currently running 12 hour reverse daylight cycle ?

I have noticed if I completely stop dosing nitrates in the past my nitrate levels drop to undetectable levels and things don’t look so bright.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone here experience cyanobacteria with nitrate dosing, trace element dosing and or amino acid dosing? If so what are the steps to irradiate the cyanobacteria? Should I decrease or stop the dosing of nitrates? My PPM is about 10-15. Increase my photoperiod on cheato refugium currently running 12 hour reverse daylight cycle ?

I have noticed if I completely stop dosing nitrates in the past my nitrate levels drop to undetectable levels and things don’t look so bright.

I’ve noticed that when dosing amino acids cyano tends to grow faster. I don’t think your nitrate dosing should affect cyano.

To get rid of, I’ve had good success dosing 3% hydrogen peroxide 1ml/10gal twice a day. Takes a bit of time. If you have localized cyano mats you can inject H2O2 directly.

OP
OP
dave57

dave57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed that when dosing amino acids cyano tends to grow faster. I don’t think your nitrate dosing should affect cyano.

To get rid of, I’ve had good success dosing 3% hydrogen peroxide 1ml/10gal twice a day. Takes a bit of time. If you have localized cyano mats you can inject H2O2 directly.

Will the hydrogen peroxide kill of my beneficial bacteria? It seems like cyano never goes away. Maybe we just have to learn to live with it haha

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the hydrogen peroxide kill of my beneficial bacteria? It seems like cyano never goes away. Maybe we just have to learn to live with it haha

Small patches of cyano are not worth the trouble, it’s more when it starts spreading all over the tank including corals. It can quickly coat corals that are stressed for any reason not giving them a chance to recover.

It likely affects some beneficial bacteria but not too much to cause issues IME.

OP
OP
dave57

dave57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small patches of cyano are not worth the trouble, it’s more when it starts spreading all over the tank including corals. It can quickly coat corals that are stressed for any reason not giving them a chance to recover.

It likely affects some beneficial bacteria but not too much to cause issues IME.

Ya it’s small patches here and there. It don’t seem to be all over the tank or taking over the corals. But just an eye sore if you know what I mean

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya it’s small patches here and there. It don’t seem to be all over the tank or taking over the corals. But just an eye sore if you know what I mean

I hear you.

For patches I would just blast them with a syringe with peroxide. They’ll “burn” immediately. May have to do it a few times. If you have something like the Julian Sprung’s feeder it also works well for that.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back