Cyanobacteria on rocks

diabolical_clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all - I'm a beginner with a tank that has been setup since about January.

My tank has been suffering from what I think is cyanobacteria in the past two months or so. Shortly after cycling, I had a brown diatom bloom and went away on its own. About several weeks after, more brown stuff came back and it seemed to be more persistent - mostly on the sand and some on the rocks as well. I've been diligent in cleaning it up and was able to use a turkey baster and toothbrush to very easily brush it off of the rocks (like dust), after which the filtration catches it. I have separately gotten a tiger sand conch and it seems to keep the sand pretty clear (I know that only treats the symptoms and have also tried to reduce feeding / light)

However, in the past two week or so, I'm noticing that my sand has cleared up significantly but the problems on the rocks have gotten worse. There has been an accumulation of very dark brown stuff on the rocks that I cannot even brush off with a toothbrush. Some of my snails (like a white astrea in the photo here) is also covered with it.

Could anyone help me identify and solve this problem? Is this still cyanobacteria and should I try a red slime remover or ChemiClean?

Other relevant facts:

- I'm running a algae turf scrubber, which has minimal growth so far. My nitrate and phosphate also seems pretty low (don't have a very accurate test kit).
- I used to feed reef roid and recently added the Brightwell Aquatics Coral Amino. But as soon as the rocks became an issue, I stopped both.
- I added copepods and dosed phytoplankton recently.

IMG_0359.jpg IMG_0360.jpg

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have for flow?

My thoughts are that there isn't enough and the conch is keeping the sand clean but isn't able to clear the rocks as well

OP
OP
diabolical_clownfish

diabolical_clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 35 gallon tank, with a Nero 3 mounted on the right side turned to about 1300 GPH on random. This feels like the maximum that my corals can handle. My live rock is place in the center so perhaps the position is a problem that blocks flow to some areas.

OP
OP
diabolical_clownfish

diabolical_clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump. I heard from another source that this actually isn't cyanobacteria but some other kind of nuisance algae. Could anyone help me identify and suggest a solution?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back