Cycle Complete? Filter media and test kits going forward

Clown2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

just wanted to get people opinion on my cycle. I recently added a bunch of dry rock and stated getting ammonia and nitrite reading on API test kits. Was getting 0.25 to 1ppm ammonia 0.25 to 0.5 ppm nitrite 0 nitrate and PH stable at 7.8. Based on previous thread I did not trust the ammonia results so go the sea hem ammonia alert badge which is reading no ammonia .

For the past two weeks I have been getting the results below which to my eye is reading PH 8.1 (I’m reading the Color to be between 8.0 and 8.2) Nitrite 0 Nitrate 5ppm. Ammonia I’m gonna trust the seachem badge.
EA0C49F1-617B-40EE-A90F-8D2CACE263F6.jpeg

would you consider the cycle complete? This test is just before my weekly water change.

also this is a fluval flex 32 gallon freshwater converted to marine and has the optional ps1 protein skimmer running and marine light on order. At the moment it has the stock fluval filter media which is foam and ceramic. Would it be worth considering removing the foam and using something like chemipure or puregen? also have the rubble from the dry rock that I coul put in a bag. Rather then the foam?

I also plan to add soft coral In a couple of months time. Based on my research so far I should be testing for alk, ca and mg . Should I test for phosphate also? Testkit brands I have access to are API Aquaforest Seachem or Red Sea. API suck so far so what brand would you recommend?

R. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I like the hanna stuff, I have trouble seeing close range specially color. Hannah gives a digital read out.

Not sure about the ceramic rings, on my aio tank I just run a piece of filter floss. Change it 1-2 times a week, so far so good.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert tests work good. Alk, nitrate, phosphate, calcium, magnesium and Ph

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back