Cycle Completed - What's Next?

SarfCharlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All!

My fluval evo just recently completed its first cycle. I have attached my spreadsheet with my test findings!

On Friday I will be adding a pair of clowns to my tank. Before adding them, I will be adjusting my sand level (I think I added about an inch too much) and completing a water change. During the water change I will also have to make a slight adjustment to my salinity (which is reading a bit high @ 1.027).

In the meantime, should I ghost feed my tank to ensure my bacteria are fed and thriving? Thanks All!

ReefTank2020.PNG

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think with the adjustments you identified you're ready to go. Good luck; I had two Fluvals and wish I had never given them away.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Jseimo completely. If you are going to remove some sand though, now is the time to do it. Before it accumulates detritus. Don't ghost feed, and when you add the new clowns, feed sparingly at first. Keep a close eye on ammonia and nitrate. You got this. Welcome to the wonderful world of reefing.

Oh. And welcome to R2R!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s sound advice.

you have upcoming algae challenges to deal with, no need to pack in unused feed as wet bacteria cannot be starved. Specifically we have a three year nonfed garage system on file that was still 100% cycled when tested with ammonia at 36 mos water and topoff only, and then there’s a two year fallow system on file at nano-reef.com that instantly passes strong ammonia oxidation after 20+ months

not anything will stall, stop or retrograde your cycle if the system is kept wet. The bacteria are eating by the second on naturally-provided fare, contaminants etc.

having a fish disease protocol in place...now that’s the challenge.

OP
OP
SarfCharlee

SarfCharlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys... I may have spoken too soon. I tested my water again today and it's showing at 0.50 PPM ammonia. I haven't done anything to the tank. Do you know of any reason the ammonia would spike randomly like this? Perhaps the dry rock maturing?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we have living, matured full running reefs that would read that, it specifically does not mean your cycle undid.

two questions: what brand of bottle bac did you input

and did you feed ammonia originally>

any reef tank that vacillates between zero, .25 and .5 is displaying all the constant numbers API displays on a range of tanks, its that messy of a testing situation.

For example, you have met the submersion timeframe for ammonia control off a common cycling chart. its nitrite that takes twenty five days, but nobody cares about nitrite anymore its all about ammonia control now in cycling.

its possible your cycle isn't done yet, but that's the least likely scenario unless you never fed at all or didnt use bottle bac.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SarfCharlee

SarfCharlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we have living, matured full running reefs that would read that, it specifically does not mean your cycle undid.

two questions: what brand of bottle bac did you input

and did you feed ammonia originally>

any reef tank that vacillates between zero, .25 and .5 is displaying all the constant numbers API displays on a range of tanks, its that messy of a testing situation.

For example, you have met the submersion timeframe for ammonia control off a common cycling chart. its nitrite that takes twenty five days, but nobody cares about nitrite anymore its all about ammonia control now in cycling.

its possible your cycle isn't done yet, but that's the least likely scenario unless you never fed at all or didnt use bottle bac.

I did not use bottled bacteria or ammonia. I started the cycled with fish waste from my trusted friends reef tank. I was also given used biomax for my media chamber for the bacteria source.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey that is a neat cycle to track out then.

we have the challenge of api readings, a known ammonia source and a known bac inoculation source but we have measured existing bac transfer into inert materials to take ~20 days...bottle bac are concentrated suspensions of hungry bac floating in water and then quickly dispersed. thats why they work in 1-10 days across brands.

the active media you brought in is opposite but still a powerful seed: biofilms lock those bac in place on existing media, they dont disperse readily.

but the always disperse in time. user Tuffloud has a very specific thread where media from one reef fully cycles a dry rock/dry sand start full reef in twenty days. You are just shy of that time

there is only one sure way to know, using your test kits. Its a three picture ammonia motion.

post up a pic of your current ammonia reading as it sits now, that's reference pic 1. even if its not zero that's fine, we need the initial reference color clearly shown.

pic 2: score actual cycling ammonia meant for tank use. input a few drops, let mix in tank five mins, then take an ammonia read. if still same color as pic one, add a few more drops. wait five mins before testing...if the second pic can show a very slight color increase from where you are at now, that's pic #2. slightly darker on the test than pic 1

the third pic is one more ammonia test in 24 hours after pic 2, it should match pic 1

post all three so we can see it move if you'd like to use this method to verify a start date.

The third pic should match pic 1 if you are cycled

Your test kits are reliable for showing motion, that's why i think you might be cycled already based on what you added.

if it can show motion down a second time, that's confirmed done. You have a very rare cycle, nearly all are using bottle bac and quick feed liquid ammonia.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back