Cycle help

Zach81rw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’m extremely new to keeping saltwater tanks so here’s what I have. Currently running is a 10 gallon with 2 blue devil damsels and 3 hermit crabs it’s been up and running around 3 months. I bought Imagitarium brand Pacific Ocean water and used that for the water and the tank of doing great. However I want to move everyone into my bigger 55 gallon (one day in the future a reef tank) but I have made a couple of mistakes during the cycle first thing was I didn’t have an RO/DI and the silicates in the tap water is keeping nitrites through the roof! Second. I never dosed with ammonia or used anything as a source eventually as time went on ammonia nitrite and nitrate showed up so I didn’t think much of it as I thought this was how the cycle goes. I did a 50% water change and my readings are ammonia .25 nitrite 2-5 ppm the colors are so similar I can’t differentiate. And nitrate 40 ppm I now have an RO/DI and have set it up. My question is should I do another large water change and add ammonia or just a water change?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’m extremely new to keeping saltwater tanks so here’s what I have. Currently running is a 10 gallon with 2 blue devil damsels and 3 hermit crabs it’s been up and running around 3 months. I bought Imagitarium brand Pacific Ocean water and used that for the water and the tank of doing great. However I want to move everyone into my bigger 55 gallon (one day in the future a reef tank) but I have made a couple of mistakes during the cycle first thing was I didn’t have an RO/DI and the silicates in the tap water is keeping nitrites through the roof! Second. I never dosed with ammonia or used anything as a source eventually as time went on ammonia nitrite and nitrate showed up so I didn’t think much of it as I thought this was how the cycle goes. I did a 50% water change and my readings are ammonia .25 nitrite 2-5 ppm the colors are so similar I can’t differentiate. And nitrate 40 ppm I now have an RO/DI and have set it up. My question is should I do another large water change and add ammonia or just a water change?
You should move your fish and inverts out of that tank, they will die in there. Ammonia and Nitrites are toxic to them

OP
OP
Zach81rw

Zach81rw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should move your fish and inverts out of that tank, they will die in there. Ammonia and Nitrites are toxic to them
They are in the 10 gallon as of now and the parameters are fine it’s just too small! I’m aware ammonia and nitrites are toxic to them that is why they aren’t in the 55 gallon. My question is what should I do to the 55 gallon? Water change, completely restart?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are in the 10 gallon as of now and the parameters are fine it’s just too small! I’m aware ammonia and nitrites are toxic to them that is why they aren’t in the 55 gallon. My question is what should I do to the 55 gallon? Water change, completely restart?
cycle it! you have to dose ammonia or phantom feed. you can use liverock and Dr Tims (attempt) to speed up the cycling process

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back