Cycle parameters

Alan098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi i am on day 5 of the cycle so very early days just wanted to ask if the levels are OK

Day 1
Salinity 1.023
Ph 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0

Day 3

Salinity 1.023
Ph 8.0
Ammonia 0.2
Nitrate 2
Nitrire 0.5

Day 5

Salinity 1.023
Ph 7.6
Ammonia 0.2
Nitrate 2
Nitrite 0

Tank started with red sea live sand
DD aquascape dry rock
Ghost feeding

Test results taken from red sea marinw care test kit

Thanks alan

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks ok. It is correct to see ammonia lower faster than nitrite. While nitrite isn't dangerous to fish in marine tanks, it is dangerous to the bacteria that produce it, so it is always a good idea to let that fall before you add your first fish.

OP
OP
A

Alan098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, at what stage should I expect diatom bloom to appear ? And is that when I should add some cuc ?

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you mixing up nitrites and nitrates? Weird that on day 5, you are showing ammonia and nitrates, but no nitrites.
And that you were showing nitrates already on day three of your cycle, being kicked off by ghost feeding...

I would think a cycle being fed by ghost feeding would be much slower to respond than this...

OP
OP
A

Alan098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you mixing up nitrites and nitrates? Weird that on day 5, you are showing ammonia and nitrates, but no nitrites.
And that you were showing nitrates already on day three of your cycle, being kicked off by ghost feeding...

I would think a cycle being fed by ghost feeding would be much slower to respond than this...

Hi yes those are the correct reading from the red sea test kit ,

The 0.5 nitrite may have been my eyes I seem to dither with the colours but the nitrate Deffo 2 on the card

I'm using natural sea water could that have something to do with it ?

Day one readings were of the water fresh from the sea on high tide

Was filtered with 200micron sock on way into the tank

Last edited:

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nevermind, I didn't realize you were using live sand too, so that will definately speed things up too.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those numbers look like you are going in the right direction. The problem with ghost feeding is you are relying on the food to be broken down into ammonia first. That can take some time. Just keep up what you are doing for a few more weeks and you will be ready for fish if your numbers look good.

OP
OP
A

Alan098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those numbers look like you are going in the right direction. The problem with ghost feeding is you are relying on the food to be broken down into ammonia first. That can take some time. Just keep up what you are doing for a few more weeks and you will be ready for fish if your numbers look good.

Thanks , im in no rush and with the dry rock I assumed it would take a little longer

OP
OP
A

Alan098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi , its now day 7 , im testing every other day and my readings haven't changed

Salinity 1.023
Ph 7.6
Ammonia 0.2
Nitrate 2
Nitrite 0

Im concerned im not seeing any nitrites and my ammonia isn't moving ?

Its a 60 mile round trip to my lfs they reccomend some bacteria balls that dissolve? Do I need them or will this sort itself ?

Thanks everyone

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point, I wouldn't worry about testing for pH, as it will fluctuate during the cycle. not to mention you are eventually going to be doing one (or more) big water changes after the cycle which will change/correct the pH before adding fish anyway. Save those tests for when its needed. Unless your pH gets way out of whack during the cycle, don't worry about it yet.

Same with nitrates. You don't really need to test for them just yet. Also, nitrate tests aren't always accurate if there is nitrite present in the water.... Wait until you have nitrites rise and then fall back to zero, before you start testing and worrying about nitrates.

In the mean time, Just test ammonia and nitrite every day for the next week or so.
Post the results for several days to see where the tank stands.

More than likely, your tank will be just fine, just doing nothing and giving it more time.
You said you started with live sand, so you have the right bacteria, just need some time to grow it.

Ghost feeding takes time for the food to break down, and then to release ammonia. That takes days to happen, not hours, and it isn't as predictable as far as how much food you need to add to get so much ammonia. That is where dosing ammonia is great in my eyes. Its fast and predictable. If you can get your hands on some pure ammonia or ammonia chloride, it would make that part easier/faster, but certainly isn't necessary.

Your way works fine, its just slower and takes some patience. But patience is a good thing to learn in this hobby.

OP
OP
A

Alan098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point, I wouldn't worry about testing for pH, as it will fluctuate during the cycle. not to mention you are eventually going to be doing one (or more) big water changes after the cycle which will change/correct the pH before adding fish anyway. Save those tests for when its needed. Unless your pH gets way out of whack during the cycle, don't worry about it yet.

Same with nitrates. You don't really need to test for them just yet. Also, nitrate tests aren't always accurate if there is nitrite present in the water.... Wait until you have nitrites rise and then fall back to zero, before you start testing and worrying about nitrates.

In the mean time, Just test ammonia and nitrite every day for the next week or so.
Post the results for several days to see where the tank stands.

More than likely, your tank will be just fine, just doing nothing and giving it more time.
You said you started with live sand, so you have the right bacteria, just need some time to grow it.

Ghost feeding takes time for the food to break down, and then to release ammonia. That takes days to happen, not hours, and it isn't as predictable as far as how much food you need to add to get so much ammonia. That is where dosing ammonia is great in my eyes. Its fast and predictable. If you can get your hands on some pure ammonia or ammonia chloride, it would make that part easier/faster, but certainly isn't necessary.

Your way works fine, its just slower and takes some patience. But patience is a good thing to learn in this hobby.
Thanks very much for the detailed reply , i will do as you reccomend as you say tests are not cheap so I will save the ph nitrate and just test the nitrite and ammonia, once the cycle is complete there won't be much need for the ammonia so may as well use it thanks again

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back