Cycle question confusion

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am overreading, over asking, and overly confused. I have live sand and live rock in my 12 gal nano. It has been running like this for 4 days. What is the next step in the cycling process? Figured I would ask the experts here.

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am overreading, over asking, and overly confused. I have live sand and live rock in my 12 gal nano. It has been running like this for 4 days. What is the next step in the cycling process? Figured I would ask the experts here.
well you need wait until ammonia nitrites and nitrates settle down - takes typically 2-3 weeks. After you read 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite, you can start slowly adding livestock. Start off now by testing the water. Good luck on your tank!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say "live rock," do you mean rock taken directly from an established tank, rock taken directly from the ocean, or something else?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's skip cycle type rock, wet from the pet store means ready to go

Nothing died on the way home, it just transferred over fine.

Before adding fish, you'd read the disease forum stickies, select a preparation method, and run it

If you skip a disease prep mode, the daily new links shown below the stickies reveals what will happen.

Here's several pages of pet store live rock skip cycling to read, this is your tank:

You can see for pages we didn't test at all, today's ammonia tests mislead the masses. The known origin of the rock is sufficient... wet, and from the pet store = skip cycle.

These rocks typically have visual cues included on the rock that also prove its skip cycle so post a pic of your rock/ tank

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a pic of your rock so we can verify the easy inclusions to spot on live rock

Some pet stores bring up their own live rock made from white dry rock in a vat of water with no lighting; those are still skip cycle rocks but they'll be devoid of attachments. Wet and from the pet store brought home wet is the final say.

If the rocks were dry when you brought them home that would be a wait + feed cycle. Wet and from the pet store means ready to go, we show in the link for pages

The fish disease prep is what's required to keep your fish alive its not any aspect of the cycle we show

*edit
Found this pic in your other post. It's skip cycle live rock, with coralline/ pigmentation inclusions as mentioned and shown in the post. There’s literally nothing for you to do, it’s cycled.

Still post a full tank shot so we can see how much you have of it.

Screenshot_20220523-054345_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kathy Floyd

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Post a pic of your rock so we can verify the easy inclusions to spot on live rock

Some pet stores bring up their own live rock made from white dry rock in a vat of water with no lighting; those are still skip cycle rocks but they'll be devoid of attachments. Wet and from the pet store brought home wet is the final say.

If the rocks were dry when you brought them home that would be a wait + feed cycle. Wet and from the pet store means ready to go, we show in the link for pages

The fish disease prep is what's required to keep your fish alive its not any aspect of the cycle we show

*edit
Found this pic in your other post. It's skip cycle live rock, with coralline/ pigmentation inclusions as mentioned and shown in the post. There’s literally nothing for you to do, it’s cycled.

Still post a full tank shot so we can see how much you have of it.

Screenshot_20220523-054345_Samsung Internet.jpg
Thank you so much!!! I really appreciate the time you took to respond and being so helpful! I have attached a new pic. I added one more small piece and this will be it for rock.

Attachments

• 20220523_091317.jpg.pdf
    18.7 MB · Views: 27

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed that's a full skip cycle setup like the thread

After you run fish disease preps you'll be ready for fish, be sure and study a few hours in Jay's disease forum/ read the stickies

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back