Cycle question..,

ReeferJohn408

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Otherwise there would not be enough Ammonia to properly jumpstart the cycle. Some people even leave their rotting shrimp inside the tank until it's completely dissolved.

In my 12 years experience, I always wait until the piece of shrimp dissolved to have a proper cycle. Otherwise, my tank keeps undergoing a mini-cycle everytime I overfeed or add any additives or supplements.

But others have different approach. ;)

PedroMann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Otherwise there would not be enough Ammonia to properly jumpstart the cycle. Some people even leave their rotting shrimp inside the tank until it's completely dissolved.

In my 12 years experience, I always wait until the piece of shrimp dissolved to have a proper cycle. Otherwise, my tank keeps undergoing a mini-cycle everytime I overfeed or add any additives or supplements.

But others have different approach. ;)
I agree, John's method also works. I just like the science and level of control of knowing precisely how much ammonia is being introduced. Instead of a decent ammonia spike then a rush of bacteria to clean it up, using the pure ammonia/testkit/bacteria method allows one to draw the cycling out longer. Remember, especially if starting out with dry base rock, bacteria takes allot of time to colonize deep into the rock's porous structure. The longer you can wait before adding bioload, and introducing undesirable algae, the more time the bacteria and corraline algae can gain the upper hand. If you start with a decent canvas, the system gets very stable and corals/fish/inverts will thrive.

The hobby, of course is a matter of art and science combined. Once the science is understood then the reefkeeper gains control of the environment and can control different variables in order to achieve success. Also, As a form of art, everyone has different tastes. Different likes/dislikes.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not need a rotting piece of shrimp in your tank to cycle the tank. Basically the greater the ammonia level does not equal a tank more able to handle the addition of fish and the faster you can stock that tank.
Always stock slowly especially in a smaller systems. A cycle is an ever evolving process, beneficial bacteria wax and wane.
You cycle, you add fish or inverts when the values for ammonia and nitrites are undetectable, you feed sparingly and you test. In a couple weeks after the biological filter has had a chance to evolve to that bioload you add another fish and rinse and repeat.
A cycle is more than those values you test for, it's swings in chemistry, it's elements and organics we can not and do not test for.

OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually threw the shrimp out after you guys said to not use it and go with Dr Tims... So now the tank has nothing but sand / rock waiting for my Dr Tims to arrive when I'll follow the instructions using that.

OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I got my Dr Tims Ammonium and One and Only today. I have a Biocube 29. I threw in 29 drops of Ammonium not even thinking to subtract for rock and sand... I also added the bottle of One and Only. After a bit I tested my Ammonia with my API kit and it's not registering... Water is clear. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my test...

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1443148144.952786.jpg

Yes I added about 10 drops of dr Tims right to the test just to see if anything would register after doing the initial test...Still nothing! I feel like I got sent a bottle of water.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I used dr tims on my last 4 tanks only because i never added live rock and started woth real reef rock uncured amd this past bottle that ive got of one and only did nothing but polute my tank and register ammonia and nitrite off the chart and still havnt got an amswer back from them , ive always stuck up for dr tims products but after seeing that i will forever be against ot

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to say the shrimp or fish food technique is probably the easiest method for beginners. Pure ammonia the fastest for advanced hobbyists. For myself I prefer to start a tank with fresh live rock. It already has a good start on bacteria being present. I allow it to run in the system for a week or two and then add the cleanup crew. A week or two later the first coral, gradually adding more corals or fish, one or two at a time while checking for ammonia and nitrates. For live rock that's been dry for more than a couple of hours I allow more time for cycling before adding anything else to handle any dieoff. If you can get it fresh, live rock with all the critters (good and sometimes bad) can contribute a lot of life to the starting off of a system. I'm a fan of the wild clams that often come in on the rock. They can last for years while filtering the tank water all the while.

DiverGirl82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my rock is dry... I need an ammonia source. Checking my local hardware store shortly to see if they carry pure ammonia.

If you get pure ammonia make sure to shake the bottle first. If it foams up at the top it has an additive in it that's bad for the tank. I saw that on a YouTube video and it's a good thing I did. I would have had no idea to look for that.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back