Cycle tank with uncured dry rock and dead live rock

SaltySquid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm upgrading my tank after not having one for 8 months, but I'm kinda curious about something. As the title states I of course need to cycle my tank however, I'm building my aquascape outside of the with uncured dry rock and live rock that has been out of water for a few days, thus dead. I'm just wondering why there is such a press to clean the rocks of all decaying matter, prior to cycling a tank? When a tank cycles, we start that "cycle" by adding nutrients/food/whatever your choice so that it breaks down and enters the nitrate cycle. Don't the dead items on these rocks do the same thing? Of course it'll add more phospates but this can be mitigated with Phosguard, or another phospahate filter.

Basically, I'm trying to find out what issues I'll run into if I decide to not cure these rocks before adding them to my tank on Monday.

Thanks.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just wondering why there is such a press to clean the rocks of all decaying matter, prior to cycling a tank? When a tank cycles, we start that "cycle" by adding nutrients/food/whatever your choice so that it breaks down and enters the nitrate cycle. Don't the dead items on these rocks do the same thing? Of course it'll add more phospates but this can be mitigated with Phosguard, or another phosphate filter.
Its my opinion that most people dont want to deal with the extra nutrients and time it takes to rid your tank of them. I dont see any reason for you to clean dead rock if you know what whats ahead.

OP
OP
SaltySquid

SaltySquid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on cleaning it, but I don't want to wait 2 weeks to cure it and then another 4-6 weeks to cycle the tank.

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using uncured live rock is ideal for initiation the cycling of a new tank! I think that maybe you are getting the uncured live rock confused with the cured live rock. You don’t want to use UNCURED LIVE ROCK in an established tank due to the onslaught of ammonia, nitrite and nitrates associated with doing so.

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my most recent tank with uncured lace rock and "dead" sand from my last tank that had been sitting for 5 years. I just sprayed the rock with a garden hose, set the tank up and let it cycle for a month. Over a year later, Ive never had problems with excess nutrients. Id say go for it.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no reason to thoroughly clean live rock before cycling it will do just what said . I would at least brushoff any excess algae or larger stuff.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back