Cycle tank

Rhidalgo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are new and bought a used Red Sea reefer 250 . We cleaned it out with vinegar and bought live rock and live sand . We also bought dr Tim’s one and only. Is this ok to use with the live rock and sand. Also can we add a fish to to that or is that a no no with the live rock and sand

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The live rock is wet and not dry rock correct? Also it is safe to use the Dr. Tims. Just follow the directions. I recommend using their ammonium chloride to help cycle the tank.

keywestreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are new and bought a used Red Sea reefer 250 . We cleaned it out with vinegar and bought live rock and live sand . We also bought dr Tim’s one and only. Is this ok to use with the live rock and sand. Also can we add a fish to to that or is that a no no with the live rock and sand
Ultimately there are several options to cycle a tank. I am doing a build where I will have 3 tanks cycling at or around the same time. 2 QT (Quarantine Tank) and the DT (Display Tank). I am going to use 3 different methods for cycling. I am going to use Fritz Turbo Start 900 on all 3 tanks. I will also be starting all with either no rock or Marco Rock pending the tank. The Display Tank will be the only one with Rock and Sand. I am avoiding Live Rock due to the potential Hitchikers. If you rock is (Live) wet, you will need to keep close watch on the Ammonia levels to avoid die off. If ammonia gets too high you will want to do a water change to bring those levels down. You "can" add fish, but again, watch Ammonia levels. I recommend a Seachem Ammonia monitor based on other success with them here. Welcome to R2R and good luck with the build. Keep us posted and take lot's of pictures.

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a Guide to Cycling Saltwater Tanks.
Additionally, to answer the questions, you can reuse the rock, but if there are any pests, they will be in your tank too. May be best to dry and cure them.

The sand is a hard no. The sand will cause ammonia and other nutrient problems later on. Sand is cheap enough to replace (look at petco's website and you can price match in store).

As for fish, please don't! It can cause health issues, burned gills, or even kill the fish. Just wait for the cycle to finish.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back