Cycle with or without wavemakers?

ReeferHolland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, my tank is a 200L red sea reefer. Im going to add the water this week but I'm waiting for a replacement part for my reefwave 25 gyres before I can use it. So my question is: can I run the cycle the first week upto 1.5 weeks without the wavemaker/gyre pump? So with the return pump only?
Would it be beneficial at all to use gyres during the cycle? Or would it be completely unneccesary?

And some thing I can't find a good solution for is this: I have an RODI system, I have my own salt, I have a jerrycan that has a capacity of 20% of my whole tank, but how am I going to fill it up for the first time if I can't make 200L of salt water at once? Is there any solution for this without buying a 200L water storage, or without buying salt water from the LFS?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all, my tank is a 200L red sea reefer. Im going to add the water this week but I'm waiting for a replacement part for my reefwave 25 gyres before I can use it. So my question is: can I run the cycle the first week upto 1.5 weeks without the wavemaker/gyre pump? So with the return pump only?
Would it be beneficial at all to use gyres during the cycle? Or would it be completely unneccesary?

And some thing I can't find a good solution for is this: I have an RODI system, I have my own salt, I have a jerrycan that has a capacity of 20% of my whole tank, but how am I going to fill it up for the first time if I can't make 200L of salt water at once? Is there any solution for this without buying a 200L water storage, or without buying salt water from the LFS?
While you can, assure there is some type of water movement providing oxygen to the developing denitrifying bacteria

Upvote 0

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You make one 20l batch after another and gradually fill the tank. Once filled, then you start your cycling procedure.

Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back