Cycle

manuel josephh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, it’s day 20 of i kickstarted the nitrogen cycle and I’m not sure wether my tank cycled. My nitrite is at 0ppm but somehow my test kit shows that my ammonia is inbetween 0-0.25ppm. Is it normal for ammonia to be higher after the tank is cycled?
FC9D4765-E09D-490F-B701-BAC2BC31C04F.png
98A5650A-D79D-4D5A-872D-EE13A4D34EB9.png

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it’s done by this number of wait days in all cases like yours

see my post here for explanation on your testing

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, it’s day 20 of i kickstarted the nitrogen cycle and I’m not sure wether my tank cycled. My nitrite is at 0ppm but somehow my test kit shows that my ammonia is inbetween 0-0.25ppm. Is it normal for ammonia to be higher after the tank is cycled?
FC9D4765-E09D-490F-B701-BAC2BC31C04F.png
98A5650A-D79D-4D5A-872D-EE13A4D34EB9.png
You are done

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't mention if you've used any wild or maricultured live rock. If not I'd read Aquabiomics article and order some or check the LFS for some. There are very complex microbial processes going on in reef systems. Only a few percent can be cultured and stuck in a bottle. The best and only sources are from nature. Here's an excelllent article on establisihing a healthy microbiome:

Here's some links by scientists studying reef ecosystems you might find informative:

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" This video compliments Rohwer's book of the same title, both deal with the conflicting roles of the different types of DOC in reef ecosystems. While there is overlap bewteen his book and the video both have information not covered by the other and together give a broader view of the complex relationships found in reef ecosystems

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Optical Feedback Loop in Colorful Coral Bleaching

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't mention if you've used any wild or maricultured live rock. If not I'd read Aquabiomics article and order some or check the LFS for some. There are very complex microbial processes going on in reef systems. Only a few percent can be cultured and stuck in a bottle. The best and only sources are from nature. Here's an excelllent article on establisihing a healthy microbiome:

Here's some links by scientists studying reef ecosystems you might find informative:

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" This video compliments Rohwer's book of the same title, both deal with the conflicting roles of the different types of DOC in reef ecosystems. While there is overlap bewteen his book and the video both have information not covered by the other and together give a broader view of the complex relationships found in reef ecosystems

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Optical Feedback Loop in Colorful Coral Bleaching

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

While many of these links might be useful they are irrelevant for the question. The question was if OP is cycled? The answer is simple. Yes.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tim's into surface maturation like I'm into advising others to quarantine and fallow heh. love it. plus he has a matured system I don't even keep marine fish. I do have some matured reef rocks though.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While many of these links might be useful they are irrelevant for the question. The question was if OP is cycled? The answer is simple. Yes.

Strictly speaking you're right. But "cycling" is really a non issue, it can't be stopped and adding the proper live rock and/or corals can bypass it. Establishing a healthy microbiomes is far more critical as proper microbiomes are as essential for healthy corals as they are for our own health. Based the apparent lack of understanding experessed by the OPs questions it seemed to me prudent to provide basic information on how critical microbiomes are to healthy reef ecosystems.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back