OP
OP
S

Steven27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I still agree with it being safer to know you're processing ammonia. I suppose know what your plan is would help, as far as stocking goes.
There are several stocking options that I have considered
2 clown fish
1 reef green chromis
1 neon blue goby

2 clown fish
1 royal gramma
1 neon blue goby

1 royal gramma
1 reef green chromis
1 neon blue goby

OP
OP
S

Steven27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steven if you want any further help just message me, it’ll save arguments. All questions have to be around disease prevention though :) as this cycle is done. After spending seven straight years defining and proving skip cycle transfers we gotta accept that part as all set, and focus on what Jay tells us to focus on in the fish disease forum. There are some cycles we don’t have to tinker and toil over, this is one of them. You did well using a real live rock component there it’ll help reduce dinos risk
Okay I appreciate the feedback!

OP
OP
S

Steven27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. There's no harm as I thought. @Steven27 You donwhat you feel is best. However being sure the cycle is complete is harmless and saves you possible future problems. The cycle very well could be complete but being sure is always good practice. This is alot like jumping into a sewer man hole with out testing the air first.
Makes sense! I do appreciate the response

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several stocking options that I have considered
2 clown fish
1 reef green chromis
1 neon blue goby

2 clown fish
1 royal gramma
1 neon blue goby

1 royal gramma
1 reef green chromis
1 neon blue goby
So. And this isn't a reccomendation by any means. If you aren't planning to QT, I used my clowns, along with bio Spira, to cycle my tank. I used dry rock so you have a slight head start. Doing that adds the ammonia source needed . The tank can handle that load. If you do plan to qt, then checking with some ammonia won't hurt. Everyone has different opinions about cycles and qt procedures. You should read around and find what best suits you.

OP
OP
S

Steven27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So. And this isn't a reccomendation by any means. If you aren't planning to QT, I used my clowns, along with bio Spira, to cycle my tank. I used dry rock so you have a slight head start. Doing that adds the ammonia source needed . The tank can handle that load. If you do plan to qt, then checking with some ammonia won't hurt. Everyone has different opinions about cycles and qt procedures. You should read around and find what best suits you.
Do clowns become territorial if they are the first fish in the tank? Okay sounds good.

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do clowns become territorial if they are the first fish in the tank? Okay sounds good.
Clowns can be jerks lol. That stocking list doesn't seem like it will really be any issue. I've read that royal grammas can be rough also. I've never had one buy I have had many clowns all with their own personality.

OP
OP
S

Steven27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns can be jerks lol. That stocking list doesn't seem like it will really be any issue. I've read that royal grammas can be rough also. I've never had one buy I have had many clowns all with their own personality.
I have read about clowns being different such as personalities lol. So could a reef green chromis work? I have read that buy them in groups but you will end up with just one over time.

OP
OP
S

Steven27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what do you recommend feeding clowns? Mysis or krill? With some pellets?

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If this cycle is done, then why is there no nitrate?

It also wasn’t mentioned before that any of that rock was live. The pictures of the test results just appeared to show that the cycle hadn’t even started.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what do you recommend feeding clowns? Mysis or krill? With some pellets?

Fish love frozen but as a safety valve for when you have to go away for a few days, you should also get your fish used to flakes and pellets.

This way you can use an automatic food dispenser for a few days and your fish won’t go hungry.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fishy

Agreed that info wasn't presented here by Steven/ that the rock was wet and from a live rock holding bin at a pet store it was mentioned in another thread

If it was all dry it would be more concerning

Cycle assessments move mighty fast at times right~ before you know it we're on page two planning disease preps and best feeding options. Nitrate doesn't matter here, when people in the forum post they have zero nitrate and want to dose stump remover to raise it, nobody questions the cycle. These cheap test kits may not even be right...he could be at fifty ppm on another kit, see any comparison post between non digital ones.

Moving into new glass doesn't undo the cycle set by the pet store. Also: it doesn't matter if only half his stack is alive for reasons mentioned. He's already dosed bottle bac that seats into place in two days time

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back