Cycled? Or too soon??

jrbates08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I feel you all are going to get tired of my questions lol but I'd rather it come from experienced hobbiests then Google or an uneducated source. Anyways, today marks day 19 of my new tank. 75g stocked with LR, LS, mixed our own water with a reverse osmosis RO/DI unit (whatever that is....looked like a water purifier thing to me) then after 7 days we added some hermits, snails and peppermint shrimp. (All doing well) I am not feeding them anything because I had quite the aiptasia problem but the peppermint shrimp took care of that. I'm still not feeding them because I have now for about 6 days had diatoms coving my sand floor and rock. Also have green hair algae. So here's my question, I was told this is the nitrogen cycle of my tank. I tested the water with an API SALTWATER MASTER TEST KIT. This is what my readings are PH=8.4 Ammonia=0ppm Nitrite= 0ppm Nitrate 5-10ppm. So with this being said, does this mean the cycle has completed? Seems pretty early. But I still have diatoms. I'm in no rush to add anything, just curious if this could still be the beginning or if it was finished.

Mufasa31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are getting nitrates, your initial cycle should be done.

You will need to add some form of ammonia to keep the cycle going. This can be food for the clean up crew or a small fish.

Anytime you add new sources of ammonia, you may go through a small cycle.

OP
OP
jrbates08

jrbates08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I add fish now to produce the ammonia or should I just add ammonia itself?

OP
OP
jrbates08

jrbates08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know fish flakes aren't enough so now should I add a dead shrimp or can I add a fish to create ammonia from the waste?

OP
OP
jrbates08

jrbates08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's a good cheap fish to start with besides a damsel ?? I don't want any aggressive fish

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Occelaris Clownfish
Reef Chromis
Royal Gramma
I haven't had any problems with my yellowtail Damsel, but I know a lot of the other Damsels can be VERY agressive

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back