Cycled tank?

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I am setting up a 10 gallon coral tank.. I have an extra tank and just need the light and filter, but I have a 50 gallon tank that I am going to steal some live rock and water from.. This tank is established and has been running for about a year now. If I take 10 gallons from this tank and the live rock.. Would the 10 gallon be considered cycled?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and without any mid ground

this is how most all reefs at macna and ten other reef conventions are instantly made ready full of fish and corals by opening date.
there won’t be a cycle, a mini cycle, it’s just rocks moving from one wet place to another as often as you’d like

our hobby has made up something called a mini cycle so that api ammonia misreads can have context. They’re just misreads

the best way to pull off your transfer is move the rocks and specifically don’t test for ammonia and then the made up mini cycle will not occur.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

classic example here

she changed water too much, got a mini cycle (cannot occur in reefing, api shows free ammonia as common as the day is long)

ill feel legit bad if she goes and buys more bottle bac, was waiting for someone to call me out there for playing stall advocate

she prob already knows to ignore the kit.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back