OP
jgoad92

jgoad92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. I'm just ready to get this thing cycled so I don't have to keep looking at an empty tank

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. I'm just ready to get this thing cycled so I don't have to keep looking at an empty tank
1 drop from an eye dropper per gallon should be approx. equal to 1ppm. Test to be sure. Things can vary depending on the strength of the ammonia and the amount your eye dropper dispenses per drop.

The word around here is that "nothing good happens fast in a saltwater aquarium." And it's true.

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So can I not get away with what it is at now?

Here is what I would do: Give it two days, hopefully, it will have dropped a good amount. However, if it is still over 6ppm, do a large water change and test again. I do not think a high level is too bad at this point, so you will just have to wait it out. Test every day and see how it goes...

OP
OP
jgoad92

jgoad92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I would do: Give it two days, hopefully, it will have dropped a good amount. However, if it is still over 6ppm, do a large water change and test again. I do not think a high level is too bad at this point, so you will just have to wait it out. Test every day and see how it goes...

Ok I will do that. Thanks

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that over 5ppm will stall the cycle. I would do a wc to bring it down to 2-3ppm.

Jason Lemkau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert, but have had great luck with being patient. Sometimes if you rush too much it can cause you more headache than good. Good luck. I used Seed from seachem and microbacter7

OP
OP
jgoad92

jgoad92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will give it a few days and if it hasn't dropped any I will go ahead and do a water change to get it down.

OP
OP
jgoad92

jgoad92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I get a bottle of bacteria or should plenty form naturally?

OP
OP
jgoad92

jgoad92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had good experiences with Bio-Spira.

What other brands are good? Or will any bottled bacteria work? I'm going to go see what I can find locally this week so I don't have to order it.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other brands are good? Or will any bottled bacteria work? I'm going to go see what I can find locally this week so I don't have to order it.
Bio-Spira is a stock item at Petco. The inventor of Bio-Spira is Dr. Tim who now has his own brand label. Highly recommend either.

OP
OP
jgoad92

jgoad92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bio-Spira is a stock item at Petco. The inventor of Bio-Spira is Dr. Tim who now has his own brand label. Highly recommend either.

All we have is a pet sense and a couple of lfs. I'll see if they have either one of those brands.

Ritzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4. Switch to all live rock and 'skip' the initial nitrogen cycle entirely.

5. Does bottled bacteria (dirt cheap these days).
For number 4 how much would I need for a 150gal?

#5 what brands do you recommend to start?

Andrewalex11

Reef Technology
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of recommendations here in this thread for getting an initial cycle going.

I'd like to throw in my .02 and just say the best way to grow a bacterial colony is with patience, it could take a month or two to create a colony of organisms big enough to handle a decent bio-load. The last thing you want is to dump a bottle of some magical bacteria juice assume your tank is running through its nitrogen cycles properly, and then having ammonia spikes kill/burn your fish/corals.

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For number 4 how much would I need for a 150gal?
Hmm... Hard to say... Well over 100 lbs...

But I thought this was a 10 gallon system?

#5 what brands do you recommend to start?
I have used ProdiBio Startup with great success. This was many years ago when the concept was newish, and expensive. Aquavitro Seed is another I know works well. Also, I have seen several threads with people using Red Sea Reef Mature Pro Kit, however (after participating in the threads) the Red Sea kits seem to be less effective, so buy for a larger tank than you have...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back