Cycling a cube 20 question

Emerald Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all , first time reefer and waiting for cube 20 to arrive Monday . Just a quick question on cycling the tank . I will be using caribsea shapes rock and the live special grade sand . What test kits do I need at this stage to keep track of the cycle ???? and would I be best using something like the Red Sea starter kit reef mature or just use something like fauna marine bacto blend ? I’ll be using maxspect bio spheres in 2nd chamber to seed the bacteria in media and caribsea rock .

Gary777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar setup with a 25g Waterbox tank. I also used the same Caribsea rock and live sand. I also use the Maxspect bio spheres.

I cycled with Fritz turbo start and added a pair of clowns the next day. I have an ammonia test kit which I think I used once and a nitrate test kit which gets used regularly. The Salifert kit is good. I didn’t bother with a Nitrite test after watching a BRS video. The presence of Nitrate proves the cycle is working so just test for that.

OP
OP
Emerald Reef

Emerald Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar setup with a 25g Waterbox tank. I also used the same Caribsea rock and live sand. I also use the Maxspect bio spheres.

I cycled with Fritz turbo start and added a pair of clowns the next day. I have an ammonia test kit which I think I used once and a nitrate test kit which gets used regularly. The Salifert kit is good. I didn’t bother with a Nitrite test after watching a BRS video. The presence of Nitrate proves the cycle is working so just test for that.
Thanks Gary ,

Yes was thinking of the salifert kits as they seem to be readily available locally and a good price . Can’t find anyone in Ireland doing Fritz products yet which is disappointing as I would have liked to use that salt with all the positive stuff I’ve read . Fauna marine and Red Sea bacteria seems to be the only recognised brands in local LFS .
I see carbon comes with the cube 20 in a pouch , when do you think this should be added to the filtration as i have seen videos of some putting in from day one and some not adding for a few months ?

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you need is ammonia and nitrate. Then down the road alk cal and mag. I would dose any bacteria in a bottle and ammonia then wait for ammonia to zero out then 100% water change. This is usually 7-10 days.

Gary777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Gary ,

Yes was thinking of the salifert kits as they seem to be readily available locally and a good price . Can’t find anyone in Ireland doing Fritz products yet which is disappointing as I would have liked to use that salt with all the positive stuff I’ve read . Fauna marine and Red Sea bacteria seems to be the only recognised brands in local LFS .
I see carbon comes with the cube 20 in a pouch , when do you think this should be added to the filtration as i have seen videos of some putting in from day one and some not adding for a few months ?
The carbon that comes with the tanks is broken up lumps, almost like the stuff you put on a bbq. If you are going to use it then rinse it well first because it’s really dusty.

I got some Red Sea carbon instead.

My understanding is carbon can help keep the water clear if it starts to go a dirty yellow colour. Best way to compare is when you do a water change and you can see a big difference between the old and new. So I don’t think you need to use it straight away.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 41 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.1%
Back