Cycling a mangrove lagoon

BurlyWizard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Today I picked up my (dry) IM 25 lagoon, which will be a mangrove invert only tank. I plan to buy XL mangroves with leaves and roots off ebay to increase the likelihood of some of them surviving. Would it be better to add these mangroves at the beginning of cycle, after cycle, or does it not matter?

I apologize if this has been asked, I couldn't find any threads on it.

Thanks!

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey burly, welcome to the club. I would cycle the tank first for the best chance of the mangroves survival

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Today I picked up my (dry) IM 25 lagoon, which will be a mangrove invert only tank. I plan to buy XL mangroves with leaves and roots off ebay to increase the likelihood of some of them surviving. Would it be better to add these mangroves at the beginning of cycle, after cycle, or does it not matter?

I apologize if this has been asked, I couldn't find any threads on it.

Thanks!
I second xxkenny90xx, I would add them after cycling. To be perfectly honest I have not thought about it in too much detail, but just off the top of my head I would suggest cycling first before adding, because as far as I am imagining right now there is no harm in that, versus a different choice which could perhaps have issues that admittedly I have yet to figure out.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to cycle before the mangroves. This will allow nitrates to be present when you add them. Try to keep nitrates around 5-10 at most and po4 around .03-.08 once you get going.

Mangroves have to have food, so best after the cycle and maybe a water change if your nitrates get too high from the cycle.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think they'd do fine either way as long as they have enough light. However, lots of light during cycling can promote algae growth, especially if you're starting with dry rock, so you may want to wait until after the tank is more established.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back