Cycling a new Biocube 32

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! My name is Daniel from Florida and I’m starting to get into the reef hobby. I have been cycling my tank for two weeks now and logging it into an app. I have recently been gifted a live rock with some good amount of coralline on it. I also got some water from and established tank. My ammonia gets eaten very quickly but my nitrites are super high. Will this rock help speed up the process and help coralline spread? I used dry sand and dried rock, and I’m doing a fishless cycle. Oh and no lights during this whole cycle.

Thank you.

07B6036D-9469-4444-AD24-CD86862488CB.jpeg

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello and welcome!!

Once your tank is processing amonia at 2ppm per day you are cycled.

By adding the live rock with coraline on it you essentially skipped your cycle.

The old rock should have enough bacteria to start colonizing the tank.

I believe you are cycled and should be able to add fish when you would like.

Nitrite is just an indication that the bacteria is doing its job. So do not worry about nitrites being high.

If you're reading 0 ammonia 24hrs after adding it then youre cycled.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
null.jpg

Welcome aboard Daniel! As long as your new live rock goes tank to tank quickly and stays wet, you shouldn't have any problem. I would monitor ammonia for a week or so to be on the safe side though. Got any pics of your new tank?

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome!!

Nitrite is just an indication that the bacteria is doing its job. So do not worry about nitrites being high.

Hello, so i am already cycled? I do not have to wait for Nitrites to drop? My bacteria takes out 2PPM in 24 hours and 3PPM in a similar time frame even. I will post my initial reading below. If i dont have to wait for it to drop could i add one fish and do a 10% water change or should i go bigger?

-Salinity(1.025 SG)
- Calcium (500PPM) this i will re-test
- Phosphate (0.25PPM)
-Alkalinity(11.0 dKH)
-PH (8.0 PH)
-Nitrites(25PPM)
-Nitrates(Will test today)
-Ammonia (0) after dosing 2PPM yesterday for about the 3rd time.

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
null.jpg

Welcome aboard Daniel! As long as your new live rock goes tank to tank quickly and stays wet, you shouldn't have any problem. I would monitor ammonia for a week or so to be on the safe side though. Got any pics of your new tank?
I will post more pictures once i get home. Thanks!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia control is all thats required. We have been told to care about nitrites only so we will buy bottle bac. Given your time underwater and the coralline rock and ammonia test I agree above

Only on reef2reef: a non hesitating cycle call all consistent first few posts

All other forums stumble for pages right off the bat. Scan your other reef forums for cycle inquiries. They all vary, all non committal. The people who cycle reefs at reef2reef would make the macna start dates for their tanks, anyone using ho hum cycling will be late and miss the show. Notice how you cannot get a simple yes, begin, from other forums. You get made up wait times which would cause you to miss displaying your reef in public if so lucky.

You did what all people at marine aquarium conventions do, why can't I find this same yes go analogy on reefcentral?

Last edited:

Oropher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.

The process of building up beneficial bacteria is never ending. You may notice that your ammonia is zero but you still have nitrite. The next bacteria buildup is the ones who process nitrites into nitrates. Then continue with denitrification bacteria which consume nitrate into gas. The number of bacteria would grow as your tank gets more mature therefore the tank will be able to handle bigger bioload.

The process may have some interruption, however you should continue building up beneficial bacteria. Later down the road you would experiencing the denitrifcation bacteria is not growing as fast as your bioload; therefore you have to take time when adding your fishes.

That's the beauty of saltwater aquarium: you continue building the bacteria = keeping the water pristine.

Happy reefing.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello, so i am already cycled? I do not have to wait for Nitrites to drop? My bacteria takes out 2PPM in 24 hours and 3PPM in a similar time frame even. I will post my initial reading below. If i dont have to wait for it to drop could i add one fish and do a 10% water change or should i go bigger?

-Salinity(1.025 SG)
- Calcium (500PPM) this i will re-test
- Phosphate (0.25PPM)
-Alkalinity(11.0 dKH)
-PH (8.0 PH)
-Nitrites(25PPM)
-Nitrates(Will test today)
-Ammonia (0) after dosing 2PPM yesterday for about the 3rd time.
Yes you're cycled.

The poster above @brandon429 has done a TON of research on this subject and has a lot of threads about it, his knowledge on this is spot on...... Thanks Brandon!!

It is a small tank so stock slowly as you need the bacteria to build with what you add to the tank. The more you add the more the bacteria has to work.

Basically don't add 20 fish at once or you will cause a spike and fish will die because there isnt enough bacteria to consume it all. This was supposed to be funny but it's really serious and 20 fish wont work in a 32 biocube. ;)

Take time in selecting the right fish. Have you thought about the fish you want and what they might do benificially for the tank?

It's always nice to have really pretty fish but it's also really good to have fish that works for your tank. Corals are also a good place to start. Some you could add would be:

Mushrooms/softies
Leathers
Polyps

These are just a few and there are a lot more!

This is the fun part so enjoy it and ask LOTS more questions when you have them!!

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome!!

I am also going to be adding livestock fairly slowly. My first buy will be an oscellaris clown(think thats how its spelled), and some beginner corals maybe two, (1) Favia and (1) Brain

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am also going to be adding livestock fairly slowly. My first buy will be an oscellaris clown(think thats how its spelled), and some beginner corals maybe two, (1) Favia and (1) Brain
Sounds good!

Just remember favia/brains are part of the mussidae family of the LPS genius. They are large stone corals that take a steady tank to do really well. Alk, cal, and mag need to be solid.

I commend you for wanting to try one but make sure your parameters dont away and that you keep your husbandry (tank maintenance) on point!

Post pics when you get the clown!!

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you're cycled.

The poster above @brandon429 has done a TON of research on this subject and has a lot of threads about it, his knowledge on this is spot on...... Thanks Brandon!!

It is a small tank so stock slowly as you need the bacteria to build with what you add to the tank. The more you add the more the bacteria has to work.

Basically don't add 20 fish at once or you will cause a spike and fish will die because there isnt enough bacteria to consume it all. This was supposed to be funny but it's really serious and 20 fish wont work in a 32 biocube. ;)

Take time in selecting the right fish. Have you thought about the fish you want and what they might do benificially for the tank?

It's always nice to have really pretty fish but it's also really good to have fish that works for your tank. Corals are also a good place to start. Some you could add would be:

Mushrooms/softies
Leathers
Polyps

These are just a few and there are a lot more!

This is the fun part so enjoy it and ask LOTS more questions when you have them!!
Thank you for the input. I have been stuck on my nitrite spike for a week now but yes my ammonia processes pretty quickly. I posted what im planning on getting first. After the clown and like a coral or two i want to introduce a clean up crew and maybe a goby. After that ill wait a while and research on other fish i like based on Live Aquaria Compatibility chart. Are my parameters good to go for adding some livestock? Shall a 10% water change suffice after my cycle? Do I keep feeding my bacteria until i add livestock?

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good!

Just remember favia/brains are part of the mussidae family of the LPS genius. They are large stone corals that take a steady tank to do really well. Alk, cal, and mag need to be solid.

I commend you for wanting to try one but make sure your parameters dont away and that you keep your husbandry (tank maintenance) on point!

Post pics when you get the clown!!
Oh alright, maybe ill try something a little more beginner id hate to see such nice corals not completely thriving.

Thank you for letting me know.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for the input. I have been stuck on my nitrite spike for a week now but yes my ammonia processes pretty quickly. I posted what im planning on getting first. After the clown and like a coral or two i want to introduce a clean up crew and maybe a goby. After that ill wait a while and research on other fish i like based on Live Aquaria Compatibility chart. Are my parameters good to go for adding some livestock? Shall a 10% water change suffice after my cycle? Do I keep feeding my bacteria until i add livestock?
Keep adding a pinch of food every few days for the bac but not a lot. If you're getting fish today or tomorrow no need to worry about adding anything until you get the fish. Dont add anymore ammonia if you are adding it straight.

A %10 change is a good idea ;)

Your parents are good for a newly cycled tank. They will shift a bit and that's why fish and soft corals do best at the beginning.

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep adding a pinch of food every few days for the bac but not a lot. If you're getting fish today or tomorrow no need to worry about adding anything until you get the fish. Dont add anymore ammonia if you are adding it straight.

A %10 change is a good idea ;)

Your parents are good for a newly cycled tank. They will shift a bit and that's why fish and soft corals do best at the beginning.
Thank you very much for the help! I am going to do my water change today and get my filter media ready. I have RO/DI on standby for top off but haven’t had too because of my lid. I will possibly get my fish tomorrow. My ammonia is definitely at zero but in a case it is not(I dosed about 1/3 for feeding yesterday of ammonia), could I use prime to get rid of the ammonia?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you wouldnt want to doubt your cycle it will cause problems. adding prime and retesting for ammonia will cause a false reading, further doubt. your cycle is done, nitrites no longer factor for reefing only ammonia control. ready to start is fully completely ready.

the only systems that need to use prime are low surface area quarantine systems.
the test that proves your cycle is done is the oxidation of ammonia. even if you had the more common tester that can't show zero, we'd still be at a completed cycle if it moved down at all overnite.

the fact your tester agrees is rare, and doesnt factor. if it stayed exactly at 2ppm overnite we would know your cycle isn't ready. the final proof of cycle completion is that your first added animals will live, and in an uncycled tank they'd die overnite.

I would have wanted the ammonia oxidation verification before continuing if you hadnt already provided it, dry sand and dry rock is a bacless start, but you mentioned how they've been brought in, and measured for them too. if you want to re verify, do more ammonia and watch for movement down.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you wouldnt want to doubt your cycle it will cause problems. adding prime and retesting for ammonia will cause a false reading, further doubt. your cycle is done, nitrites no longer factor for reefing only ammonia control. ready to start is fully completely ready.

the only systems that need to use prime are low surface area quarantine systems.
the test that proves your cycle is done is the oxidation of ammonia. even if you had the more common tester that can't show zero, we'd still be at a completed cycle if it moved down at all overnite.

the fact your tester agrees is rare, and doesnt factor. if it stayed exactly at 2ppm overnite we would know your cycle isn't ready. the final proof of cycle completion is that your first added animals will live, and in an uncycled tank they'd die overnite.

I would have wanted the ammonia oxidation verification before continuing if you hadnt already provided it, dry sand and dry rock is a bacless start, but you mentioned how they've been brought in, and measured for them too. if you want to re verify, do more ammonia and watch for movement down.
Thank you. I forgot to add that doing the fishless route I used the dry rock and sand with FRITZ 9. The live rock I just received a day ago. I will be doing my water change tonight and measuring all my parameters again!

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey great update, that stuff is ready in one day :) Dr Reef did a test comparison of the major brands of bac. that one ranked #1 activated and ready. that helps explain such strong ammonia work two weeks in, along w the live portions.

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey great update, that stuff is ready in one day :) Dr Reef did a test comparison of the major brands of bac. that one ranked #1 activated and ready. that helps explain such strong ammonia work two weeks in, along w the live portions.
Another newly question. What should my filtration media be? I have filter floss but would like to know what to add to the other two chambers? I want to make a fuge later on with an intank media basket but I’m starting out small.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
extra surface area like what we use in a freshwater system isn't used in reefing as sand and rock will always handle all your future and present bioloading. Our surfaces are deeply convoluted with active surface area, freshwater tanks have flat leaves and usually round impermeable gravel comparatively, thats why they get lots of extra surface area packed into canister filters etc.

reefs might use floss to catch floating particles, or they may pack in phosphate removing media in those chambers, or live plants and a positioned light...too many options to pinpoint. the one certain thing is, if you left the chambers totally empty and ran them with nothing the full reef would still work in total. those are just chambers to try different optional arrangements in

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back