Cycling a new Biocube 32

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not using nitrate absorbing or phosphate absorbing media, using those too soon + dry rock starts is implicated to be the number one cause of dinos in the big dino study threads, its why we want to wait to run any media that specifically absorbs either nitrate or phosphate. An imbalance there can set your tank back months and months of a sustained dinos invasion, dinos would be something that will make you absolutely hate reefing, since the start of this thread I wanted to head the other direction.

what you see growing is a sign that you are feeding well, and the miniature webs that eventually support corals without so much direct feeding are forming as various mats that trade off in makeup overtime. mainly just be cleaning and guiding them out, even if a cuc doesnt work on them, still siphon them out but we wouldnt actually change the parameters that are growing your algae; those are the same ones that will keep your corals from bleaching~they're a sign of good, not bad, and they're a sign we get out on our knees in the garden and dig/scrape/garden for a while. we dont reach for the roundup first go :) these are the action balances vs hands off balances that will keep your corals not bleached, your system uninvaded, and your live rock maturation going normally.

all that requires some nitrate and phosphate so we let those params be what they will, we just keep the new tank clean and the rest works out fine, without testing for a long time.

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not using nitrate absorbing or phosphate absorbing media, using those too soon + dry rock starts is implicated to be the number one cause of dinos in the big dino study threads, its why we want to wait to run any media that specifically absorbs either nitrate or phosphate. An imbalance there can set your tank back months and months of a sustained dinos invasion, dinos would be something that will make you absolutely hate reefing, since the start of this thread I wanted to head the other direction.

what you see growing is a sign that you are feeding well, and the miniature webs that eventually support corals without so much direct feeding are forming as various mats that trade off in makeup overtime. mainly just be cleaning and guiding them out, even if a cuc doesnt work on them, still siphon them out but we wouldnt actually change the parameters that are growing your algae; those are the same ones that will keep your corals from bleaching~they're a sign of good, not bad, and they're a sign we get out on our knees in the garden and dig/scrape/garden for a while. we dont reach for the roundup first go :) these are the action balances vs hands off balances that will keep your corals not bleached, your system uninvaded, and your live rock maturation going normally.

all that requires some nitrate and phosphate so we let those params be what they will, we just keep the new tank clean and the rest works out fine, without testing for a long time.
Sounds good thank you! I will get some siphoning of the sand going on this next water change. I will also clean my glass. Do I have to shut down my fuge or is it okay to leave it in since this feeds off phosphates and nitrates?

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sure lets leave it, to share water w main tank no problem. plants can't imbalance anything as they take up N and P. they do it in acceptable ratios.
I almost forgot my water is also cloudy not crazy cloudy but it’s noticeable, is this because of bacterial bloom?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bac will rarely bloom if we aren't dosing carbon sources. plants that are used in refugiums can often cause that if they're wilting or going through reproductive phases, the for sure action is a water change matching temp and salinity.

a third variable to watch out for is sand clouding. many sandbeds are started unrinsed, they have silt that can be ejected depending on changes/flow etc

if you want to do back to back water changes to export ? cloud that is just fine, pour slowly back in so not to kick up sand silt

running simple carbon in a filter is ok for clouding events. I don't recommend using the carbon that is designed with boosters to remove nitrate/that can cause clouding itself in some tanks so we are trying to eliminate cloud variables and keep things looking clear.

if you haven't done some partial water changes by now that will help assess busy level for this new tank, it would need to have had at least 2 minor water changes by now for guiding out feed waste etc. we can step up water changes until clouding clears no problem. 100% change wouldn't even hurt if we ever need to get aggressive

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bac will rarely bloom if we aren't dosing carbon sources. plants that are used in refugiums can often cause that if they're wilting or going through reproductive phases, the for sure action is a water change matching temp and salinity.

a third variable to watch out for is sand clouding. many sandbeds are started unrinsed, they have silt that can be ejected depending on changes/flow etc

if you want to do back to back water changes to export ? cloud that is just fine, pour slowly back in so not to kick up sand silt

running simple carbon in a filter is ok for clouding events. I don't recommend using the carbon that is designed with boosters to remove nitrate/that can cause clouding itself in some tanks so we are trying to eliminate cloud variables and keep things looking clear.

if you haven't done some partial water changes by now that will help assess busy level for this new tank, it would need to have had at least 2 minor water changes by now for guiding out feed waste etc. we can step up water changes until clouding clears no problem. 100% change wouldn't even hurt if we ever need to get aggressive
You are completely correct. My Chaeto was wilting a bit so I took that out. Should I buy regular activated carbon? I am doing a water change tommorow of 5 gallons after feeding the corals and fish. I cleaned the glass and my CUC is going to work on the sand, but i did rinse my sand (took about an hour).

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its all the same as long as they're not advertising extra nitrate uptake stuff built in with it. the regular old carbon is fine from any name brand

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update- Everything is still doing very well, diatoms have toned down quite a bit. Still have cloudy water but only when the lights are on so I'm guessing its still the bacterial bloom. I actually won a contest at a local aquarium store and got a green bubble tip anemone, so far it looks good and is eating mysis along with the weekly feeding or rods feed and reef roids. Finally saw my dragon soul favias sweeper tentacles, and they look cool. I will attach pictures soon. Anemone wasnt on my list but its what they had left for the contest and i couldnt turn it down.

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics

7C9F8B6A-39AA-4790-A19F-FA0E611FB766.jpeg 284BD090-8DB6-45E8-B7C0-B8F4D3AE4FE9.jpeg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey if you get a chance and its not impossible to score about 20 gallons of water, a nice big water change can help with clarity too, dont let it proceed too far. If a partial water change doesnt abate it we would do a complete takedown cleaning, too much life to subject to a weeks-long issue of clouding. this is a really good reason I only like to use straight carbon, or floss, but not adsorbents that command nitrate or po4 those can cause clouding unrelated to blooms. reefs do not allow for bac blooms if excessive feed or waste or those adsorbents arent in play, its why most reefs run years and years w no clouding other than sandbed clouding. this tank is proceeding nicely, I can envision some minor big cleanup work coming if it doesnt subside

the rock itself sure might be curing/casting off some goodies. either way we dont have to guess: rip cleaning an aquarium isn't hard on them if more clouding isn't allowed to occur/take down is done carefully and it results in all new water, clear sand, rinsed off rocks (in saltwater) and then a clean setup. hard to cloud off that arrangement

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey if you get a chance and its not impossible to score about 20 gallons of water, a nice big water change can help with clarity too, dont let it proceed too far. If a partial water change doesnt abate it we would do a complete takedown cleaning, too much life to subject to a weeks-long issue of clouding. this is a really good reason I only like to use straight carbon, or floss, but not adsorbents that command nitrate or po4 those can cause clouding unrelated to blooms. reefs do not allow for bac blooms if excessive feed or waste or those adsorbents arent in play, its why most reefs run years and years w no clouding other than sandbed clouding. this tank is proceeding nicely, I can envision some minor big cleanup work coming if it doesnt subside

the rock itself sure might be curing/casting off some goodies. either way we dont have to guess: rip cleaning an aquarium isn't hard on them if more clouding isn't allowed to occur/take down is done carefully and it results in all new water, clear sand, rinsed off rocks (in saltwater) and then a clean setup. hard to cloud off that arrangement
I will see if i can do that sometime next week. The cloudiness is actually subsiding alot today and my water changes have been helping greatly. I am going to do another 5 gallon water change this weekend. If it keeps on then i will keep a RIP clean in mind. Thanks! I will keep updating. Might start a build thread also.

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friday Update- I think I found the issue with the clouding, my macro algea keeps dying. Shall I simply remove it and try at a later time? I am leaving the carbon in, the carbon I use is Red Sea brand (carbon only). I have some pictures and a link of my clownfish hosting their anemone! Also have some green algea coming onto the rocks. I have a tiny amount of diatoms left over which will be cleaned tomorrow with my 5 gallons water change. Other than that everyone’s doing great and my frogspawn is growing two more heads.

62282B41-7409-4B43-9173-0FFFE3095735.jpeg FDE72200-7DE0-4790-99AA-13EB29DB8186.jpeg 68A8CF8D-EE57-4C7D-A326-A380FE020511.jpeg A35C4055-140A-4B1F-82BB-755A251CE9D4.jpeg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great detective work that’s being very in tune with the system for sure, agreed nice detail match. Having plants in or out is not changing a measurable param in this tank they are neutral zones for measurable impact in this setup due to size vs display size. They may uptake a little nitrate but not enough your tester will register

this continues to be an ideal example thread on design prediction follow through then intuit to handle pop up challenges. The scape looks sharp as can be

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great detective work that’s being very in tune with the system for sure, agreed nice detail match. Having plants in or out is not changing a measurable param in this tank they are neutral zones for measurable impact in this setup due to size vs display size. They may uptake a little nitrate but not enough your tester will register

this continues to be an ideal example thread on design prediction follow through then intuit to handle pop up challenges. The scape looks sharp as can be
Thank you. I will remove chaeto for the time being since it’s mostly dead tomorrow during my water change. Yes everything is looking great.

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small Update- I removed my chaeto and the cloudy water stopped. I believe I am dealing with micro bubbles due to my pump and wave maker along with water dropping into my intank media basket. I also got a gift from my wife in the form of a Sunkist Bounce Mushroom. Everyone else is doing very well and eat well. My anemone is coming out from his spot and opening more allowing my clowns to host it better. I will be getting a better filter floss soon.

3598D5E2-3B97-4A93-9952-C0034D54347D.jpeg

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 167 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.0%
Back