OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I will be doing another RIP clean as I can’t find the culprit. I am going to take it a step further and clean my power head, return pump, all chambers in the back , rocks, and sand. Hopefully this full restart helps because my water is super cloudy again but no I’ll effects to fish or corals or CUC, everyone’s acting normally, I wish I knew what it was so I couldn’t prevent it from coming back entirely

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: So I just finished my 2nd RIP clean on my tank. Followed all the same steps are previously mentioned in my thread. Took me from about 4PM- 8:30PM. Took out all cloudy/dirty water and sand. I rinsed the sand in my regular well water and cleaned it by hand then left it bubbling with a hose for about 45 minutes until the water looked clear. Had fish and corals waiting in the old tank water while I did this. I also cleaned all of my AIO filtration chambers, return pump, return pump tubing, wave maker, media rack, and fuge rack. I used peroxide to again kill off glass algea both on the side and bottom glass of the tank. I took the rocks and sprayed them with water then swished in a bucket and finally rubbed with peroxide before going into the tank again. All fish look good , water looks clear and will hopefully be crystal clear once the bubbles settle down and any other detritus that might have slipped past. All corals opened up right away. Hopefully this solves my issue. I remember @brandon429 mentioned some goby fish don’t make it past a RIP clean for some reason but mine has gone through two just fine :) one thing I noticed is that my Bangai cardinal is bullying my fire fish and has nipped his tail pretty bad, what should I do? My fire fish goby is now always hiding and never comes out. Is there a way I can trade him in to the LFS or someone willing to trade or take him in? I would really like to not have a fish of mine be bullied to death... sigh

969397A2-24EB-469B-A408-0FD3E7C29D07.jpeg 98F36689-5232-4BBF-9844-84E751FEA6D4.jpeg 3DBA9432-8B42-4836-A2F3-D2CADFA680ED.jpeg C6320AE1-DEB9-4E71-873F-C317BC8DF3D7.jpeg

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a shot of your fuge setup? Trying to get mine in the AIO setup also.
I will take a pic for you but right now my fuge is empty. When I have my fuge a try my tank must have not had enough nutrients for my chaeto because it started dying out so I’m waiting to add it later on. I use the intank fuge and just fill it with chaeto and I used a grow light off of amazon for its lighting. So actually idk if a pic would help you since mine isn’t set up lol

Isiah1820

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the intank also. My issue is I wanted the chaeto lower so the light wouldn't bleed out. But that end up causing me to have pieces of it get into my return chamber than into the tank.

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the intank also. My issue is I wanted the chaeto lower so the light wouldn't bleed out. But that end up causing me to have pieces of it get into my return chamber than into the tank.
I had that happen also. I tried using the stock sponge that blocks my third chamber with my return from my second which is my fuge. It helped but I still got lots of it stuck and floating around the tank. I have yet to figure a fix for it

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is looking clear and everyone’s doing well still after the clean...BUT MY TANK IS STILL ABOUT 10% cloudy and I have no idea why. I just can’t get rid of it but everyone is doing so well so it can’t be anything bad I’m completely stumped and I have no idea what else to try.

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update- Did another 3 gallon water change and replaced filter floss almost everyday now. I don’t think it’s any detritus and everyone looks perfectly fine so I now had another idea of what it might be. So on top of a new filter change and water change I thought maybe it could be my lights? I have been on ramp up mode since I finished my acclimation period so my whites and blues have been getting stronger( these are STEVES LEDS which are known to be strong. So could it be I have a bacterial bloom because of the stronger white and I had them running for 12 hours? I probably didn’t notice any difference since they are tuned down a lot during acclimation, thus explaining why even after a RIP clean I still have semi cloudy? I have turned down my whites from 12 hours( didn’t even notice I had it on 12 this whole time) and bumped it down to 8 hours. This along with daily filter floss changes hopefully will do the trick. How does it sound @brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lets keep changing at least 5 or more gallons pretty often to keep it in check, not forever but until figured out. we don't want to allow it to go back to opaque. must anticipate, work backs off when we make a discovery but the reef isn't allowed to falter.

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lets keep changing at least 5 or more gallons pretty often to keep it in check, not forever but until figured out. we don't want to allow it to go back to opaque. must anticipate, work backs off when we make a discovery but the reef isn't allowed to falter.
I did a 5 earlier in the week and another one yesterday. Will be doing one Friday or Saturday again. Other than that the reef is doing well and I actually spotted 5 new heads emerging from my acan and two more from my frogspawn.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its repeat work, thats admitted. No other way known to stop it/admitted

guaranteed way to stay on top of it though, and nice one anticipating every move. Its stinky we dont have a better way, but at least there is still one :) at the expense of decent water + calories

CWentz too is staying on top of his siphoning, very well-suited invader gives him minor regrowth challenges even though his sandbed can pass a drop test

and of all the offers so far, none are working. his tank would be a total wreck if he backed off; he did not. until a much more efficient way is found by someone, at least cpr keeps the reef alive without skipping a beat. some invasions are just harsh it seems, well done anticipating all actions and Im stumped as to the cause. this is the #1 reason Im not interested in owning large reefs, there are some naturals who can whip them into shape first go

but with my luck, and inaccessibility to 200 gallons new water, something X would happen.

nano reefing it is for me-total control mighty easy.

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its repeat work, thats admitted. No other way known to stop it/admitted

guaranteed way to stay on top of it though, and nice one anticipating every move. Its stinky we dont have a better way, but at least there is still one :) at the expense of decent water + calories

CWentz too is staying on top of his siphoning, very well-suited invader gives him minor regrowth challenges even though his sandbed can pass a drop test

and of all the offers so far, none are working. his tank would be a total wreck if he backed off; he did not. until a much more efficient way is found by someone, at least cpr keeps the reef alive without skipping a beat. some invasions are just harsh it seems, well done anticipating all actions and Im stumped as to the cause. this is the #1 reason Im not interested in owning large reefs, there are some naturals who can whip them into shape first go

but with my luck, and inaccessibility to 200 gallons new water, something X would happen.

nano reefing it is for me-total control mighty easy.
So a great update: I still don’t know exactly what caused the cloudy water but it has now cleared up beautifully. The water is almost crystal clear once again and everyone’s doing great. I lost my ruby red dragonet I think from being bullied by my bangai cardinal which was also biting my firefish. He is in a holding tank awaiting a pickup. I started up my fuge again and added two Reef Nutrition Tigger pods bottle to a huge ball of pod packed chaeto from a trusted LFS. This is to restock my pods for when I buy my next dragonet as I know mine was doing very well and was getting plump. I can’t say 100% it was the other fish because she did have a damaged fin and could have died from anything. I long since removed the carbon I was running. I still see snail eggs being laid also.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daniel, what a way to press through

your follow- through+ intuition beat this headache invader and the next one too

I'll be linking to this thread!

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daniel
what are your lights set at? Do you have the hurricane controller? I do and still having issues with what to set them at.
I actually gave in and paid the extra money for the wireless bluefish controller. You’ll probably have to give the instructions another read for the hurricane controller as even I found it a bit confusing lol. But right now what I did was acclimate for two weeks and then raised 1% everyday until I met my goal which is 62 Blue/ 46 White, this is where I like the look and where my corals really started to grow. I use the custom schedule option within the controller app. I give them 8 hours of white and a little over 12 on blue but they have a long ramp down. Hope this helps

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daniel, what a way to press through

your follow- through+ intuition beat this headache invader and the next one too

I'll be linking to this thread!
Thank you! It’s looking much better and with it the next water change I suspect it’ll be 100% clear. Other than that it’s doing amazing and my chaeto is getting me excited about bumping up my pod numbers again.

OP
OP
Daniel266jz

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Tank is back to crystal clear. Wife bought me a pair of mandarin dragonets due to my ruby red passing. Everyone’s looking good and corals are looking very nice as you can see from my rock anemone picture below.

62AF126D-D86A-423A-AB28-3542B8A0F84B.jpeg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 44 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back