Cycling A New Tank

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This cycling a new tank thing is difficult and takes a toll on my patience levels. I blame my OCD. Lol. PH: Checks off, Alk: Checks off, Ammonia: still very dark green, Nitrites/Nitrates: Dark pinkish purple. Ammonia like doesn't want to leave the tank fast enough. Lol

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Based on that, would you think your cycle is done, or stalled, or no where near even beginning? I'd vote done

You used bottle bac that instantly carries a starting bioload. Simply having dosed ten times the degree of ammonia needed doesn't mean anything is stalled, it means your test kits are now overpowered but the bacteria are hyperfed. We don't have a single example of a stalled reef there so I don't think yours is the first real stall

OP
OP
Mogwai

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9 days now and ammonia is finally @ 0. Nitrites I'm waiting for to drop. Good sign? I feel pretty good about it. Lol

Gqch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
glad to see your nh4 finally down to zero! now is good to introduce easy coral frags or fish to the tank and start your salty venture lol

JReef3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9 days now and ammonia is finally @ 0. Nitrites I'm waiting for to drop. Good sign? I feel pretty good about it. Lol
First off, Brandon 429 who posted above seems to really know his stuff; I was searching for over an hour on cycling this afternoon and he often posts on cycling and seems very well versed.

It seems Mogwai that you and I are at almost identical stages in cycling our tanks. I’m using Dr. Tim’s fishless method with his bacteria and wrapping up day 8 today. My ammonia was above what is recommended when I first dosed and is finally down to zero as well. My nitrites are still pretty high (purpleish too) so I’m expecting them to drop in the next day or two. That fact that you have nitrites is a great sign, bacteria are converting ammonia which is the key here. You’re nearly there and frankly with zero ammonia, your tank is pretty much past the part that’s dangerous for fish. If you’re interested in a few extra tips on speeding things up, I have some tips on cycling from Dr. Tim in my build thread you can check out including a video of a presentation on cycling. Good luck!

Back