Cycling a qt tank for a tang?

hbubley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

I recently set-up a quarantine tank in preparation for brining home a Bristletooth whitetail yellow eye tang. I ordered Dr Tims ammonia and nitrifying bacteria to add to the tank and I can also pull a rock or two from my DT.

How long should I wait until I order the fish?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So helpful! Thank you! I got the Fluval 13.5gallon saltwater kit, so I have a small filter and protein skimmer on it.
Adding live rock to any tank makes it pretty much ready to go!! If you treat it copper thou don’t put it back in your display if you have inverts or corals..

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend prophylactically treating the fish with copper and praziquantel to prevent disease transfer. Often fish don’t show signs while in observational qt, only for a disease outbreak to occur in the dt.

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got fluval biomedia(?) the ceramic donut things and just let them sit in my tank for a while then transferred over. Ended up with several fish in quarantine so got some more and added bottled bac

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have to use copper at any point I'll move the rock back over, hoping for a healthy fishy. Thank you for the heads up on that!
If the fish shows symptoms and with the rock in tank, you would need to let it lie fallow for 6-8 weeks if I remember correctly before putting it back in DT because otherwise it would be contaminated.

@vetteguy53081 would know better though

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If I have to use copper at any point I'll move the rock back over, hoping for a healthy fishy. Thank you for the heads up on that!
You dont need Dr tim ammonis chloride or any for a QT tank. Use seeded sponge or media from a mature tank ( some LFS sell this) and monitor ammonia with a reliable test kit as well as Hanna Copper test Kit for the copper. This is a temporary tank and not a display- just need to go basic. Rock will absorb some copper and change the level of copper which is essential to maintain for 30 days.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding live rock to any tank makes it pretty much ready to go!! If you treat it copper thou don’t put it back in your display if you have inverts or corals..
Putting the rock back in the display even if there were no inverts, coral, etc would defeat the whole QT :grinning-face-with-sweat:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back