Cycling a Saltwater Tank

ChandlerTingle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm about to cycle my tank, it’s 38 gallon tank and I was curious what’s the best way to go about cycling? I have API Quickstart and Dr. Tim’s Ammonia chloride along with the API Saltwater test kit and tropical flakes that came with the tank from Aqueon

Do you turn your Hang on the Back Filter off and if so, how long?

Has anyone used the Ammonia Chloride before or should I use the fish flakes and any info/advice/tips?

Its QuickStart and then Ammonia source as in the sequence of how to do it?

Impavidus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for fish flakes until near the end of your fishless cycle. You have what you need to establish your bacteria.

Filtration will stay off for at least 3 or 4 days. Some run their cycle without any filtration. It's extremely important not to add more ammonia if your ammonia and/or nitrite is over 2. There are great YouTube videos of people documenting their process.

Upvote 0

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can keep the filter running but remove any carbon or filter pad/catridge. Biowheels are fine and so are biomedias.

But basically just dose the ammonia accordingly, dump the bacteria in (shake well), and give it about a week or 2. I prefer splitting the ammonia dose up in the first and second week. You can drop a little bit of flakes in if you used rodi water that presumably has no phosphate.

Upvote 1

Patman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm about to cycle my tank, it’s 38 gallon tank and I was curious what’s the best way to go about cycling? I have API Quickstart and Dr. Tim’s Ammonia chloride along with the API Saltwater test kit and tropical flakes that came with the tank from Aqueon

Has anyone used the Ammonia Chloride before or should I use the fish flakes and any info/advice/tips?

I added my ammonia source followed by the bacteria. You'll run the HoB filter empty for the first few days at least. You don't want you're bacteria colonizing on the filters, also you won't run carbon during this time.

Upvote 0

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. Keep your filter on, remove any filter media except for biomedia.
2. Ammonium chloride is definitely the way to go, don't use fish food. Will just make it harder to track your progress.
3. Dose ammonium chloride first, messure half an hour later to make sure it is the concentration you want, then dose your bacteria (Quickstart).

I am on my mobile, I'll send over a handy chart for you to follow later.

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back