Cycling a tank advise

Phlipper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, so I have a 32g biocube that I set up a month ago and it has had 30 pounds of live rock for 3 weeks. I was expecting to see some activity in the start of a cycle but my ammonia had stayed under .25 and nitrites and nitrates are both vary close to 0. Any advise? The local fish store guy told me to throw in some snails and crabs and they have eaten away most of the algae and are doing great.
Thanks

T_BONE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was anything added to the tank to get the Ammonia levels up and start the cycle? This was my 32 Biocube and I used a fresh raw shrimp from the local seafood market. After a couple days I put it in a mesh bag so that it would be easier to remove when it had done its job. It took a few days for it to decay to the point that Ammonia spiked up. Hope that helps.

F81C35AB-F959-42D7-AA76-8C926CFD53FC.jpeg

Last edited:

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 lbs live rock in 32 gallon tank for 3 weeks, I'm guessing you are already cycled. Your live rock was already full of beneficial bacteria.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, where did you get your rock from? Was it wet and covered in coraline algae? The quality of the LR is going to dictate where you're at with the cycle in this case.

OP
OP
Phlipper

Phlipper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, where did you get your rock from? Was it wet and covered in coraline algae? The quality of the LR is going to dictate where you're at with the cycle in this case.
I got it from a super experienced exotic pet store guy. It’s been wet the entire time and it’s from Fiji. It’s super porous and grew algae very fast.

A8470CB0-555D-40BB-BA4C-DAB43FA7FCEA.jpeg

OP
OP
Phlipper

Phlipper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 lbs live rock in 32 gallon tank for 3 weeks, I'm guessing you are already cycled. Your live rock was already full of beneficial bacteria.
Ya I was told that may be the case with having that much live rock, eg not seeing an ammonia spike. Just wondering what everyone’s opinion is

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's you nitrate and nitrite at? Did you see a nitrite spike then drop? Or did you go to seeing just nitrate?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it from a super experienced exotic pet store guy. It’s been wet the entire time and it’s from Fiji. It’s super porous and grew algae very fast.

A8470CB0-555D-40BB-BA4C-DAB43FA7FCEA.jpeg
Wow where do you live? That is super rare to get these days.

OP
OP
Phlipper

Phlipper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's you nitrate and nitrite at? Did you see a nitrite spike then drop? Or did you go to seeing just nitrate?
Ya I haven’t seen the nitrites go up at all, and the nitrates are super low as well. I’m going to add a bit of food to the tank and see what that with the hermits do. I’m guessing there was enough good bacteria in the rock that it is cycled but I’ll still take it slow :)

OP
OP
Phlipper

Phlipper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my nitrate at 20ppm so I did a 15% water change and that brought it down under 5. I’m pretty sure I messed up the previous nitrate tests I did. So when do you think is the time to start adding corals?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Put a piece of shrimp in tank for the crabs. After a day or so, your ammonia will rise a little. If biological filtration is getting cycled properly, it will come back down. If not, add bacteria supplement such as Dr. Tims or fritz zyme

Zero1091

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the adding Nitrifying Bacteria
Personally like Dr. Tims but Fritz is cool too.
Add it then wait about 4-7 days
Afterwards ammonia should soon be in check at 0. If not wait a lil longer till it does.
Nitrite may or may not slightly rise
Nitrate will go up.
Once Nitrite & Nitrate are your only reading do a 50% water change and that should take care of it.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this tank is fully cycled and needs no testing, purchases, etc.
Whatever bioload you want it to run it could do on day 1 / it's ready

Moving rock that is cycled from one tank to another never removes bac

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phlipper

Phlipper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this tank is fully cycled and needs no testing, purchases, etc.
Whatever bioload you want it to run it could do on day 1 / it's ready

Moving rock that is cycled from one tank to another never removes bac
Ok so you think I could go ahead and add some corals?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure, that is has algae is another sign of being ready because bac are present long before adhered animals or plants

Time to also be lifting out rocks, using a knife to scrape off algae and hand guide it out so it doesn't take over then put rocks back. Do not buy into the uglies phase everyone does it can kill your tank, use peroxide and or knife externally only to hand guide algae out and leave coralline and coral in place don't try and starve it via the water like everyone does is my strongest possible recommendation

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so you think I could go ahead and add some corals?
Based on what you've posted I think your tank is cycled.

But when I think my salinity is correct, I don't mark that down as a fact, I test it.

To be safe, itd make more sense to add some ammonia (~1 ppm), test to confirm you added enough, then test again 24-48 hours later to confirm that its gone away. Simple, direct evidence that nitrification is happening in your tank. Anything else is more or less guesswork. Ammonia tests are cheap and easy.

If I was new to the hobby, I'd be so frustrated with all the complex and sometimes bad advice given to newcomers about cycling. It doesnt have to be complicated :)

Good luck

mr9iron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly what I would do to confirm the tank is cycled before adding any fish or coral. EMeyer gave some great advice.

OP
OP
Phlipper

Phlipper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure, that is has algae is another sign of being ready because bac are present long before adhered animals or plants

Time to also be lifting out rocks, using a knife to scrape off algae and hand guide it out so it doesn't take over then put rocks back. Do not buy into the uglies phase everyone does it can kill your tank, use peroxide and or knife externally only to hand guide algae out and leave coralline and coral in place don't try and starve it via the water like everyone does is my strongest possible recommendation
Ok. Well my cuc have been taking care of the algae quite nicely

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 34 53.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 35 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • None.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.8%
Back