Cycling a tank with Dr. Tims One-and-only

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers,

Not my first tank by any means, however; this is the first time I am "quick-cycling" a tank using Dr. Tims One-and-only.

I am currently on day 12 of the cycle with below parameters and history:

Day 12 (27/09/2022):
pH: 8.1 (Hanna)
Ammonia: 1.00 ppm (API)
Nitrite: 2.00 ppm (API)
Nitrate: +75.00 ppm (Hanna)

Now, I am not in a hurry by any means- I do however wonder, now that I have slipped off the recipe by a couple of days when I perform my first water change considering the nitrate level that I measure.

I do have a couple of bags of the Aquaforrest Life Bio Filter media sitting waiting as well. Would I benefit from adding this during the cycling process?

Thanks! :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Cycle history:

Day 1 (16/09/2022):
Dr. Tims / 25 ml of ammonia added

Day 2 (17/09/2022):
pH: 8.6
Ammonia: 1.50 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm

Day 3 (18/09/2022):
Added 25 ml of ammonia

Day 4 (19/09/2022):
Ammonia: 2.00 ppm
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 1.10 ppm

Day 5 (20/09/2022):
pH: 8.5
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 1.50 ppm

Day 6 (21/09/2022):
pH: 8.2
Nitrite: 0.25 ppm
Nitrate: 1.90 ppm

Day 7 (22/09/2022):
Added 25 ml of ammonia

Day 8 (23/09/2022):
Ammonia: 4.00 ppm
Nitrite: 1.00 ppm
Nitrate: 5.20 ppm

Day 9 (24/09/2022):
Ammonia: 4.00 ppm
Nitrite: 1.50 ppm
Nitrate: 11.10 ppm

Day 10 (25/09/2022):
pH: 8.3
Nitrite: 2.00 ppm
Nitrate: 18.30 ppm

Day 11 (26/09/2022):
Nitrite: 4.00 ppm
Nitrate: 45.50 ppm

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember...my Dr. Tims cycle didn't follow the "schedule" and was "behind" as well..but it all worked out.

Just my thoughts....

1. Likely incorrect ammonia readings. The API ammonia kits get a pretty bad rap around here. Something about them never really showing a zero reading and/or being hard to read. If you haven't added any ammonia in five days...it's probably that the test kit is reading incorrect and you have very likely processed some/all of that ammonia.

2. Get a different ammonia kit reading. Perhaps fish store is nearby? Take a sample to them (assuming they don't use API kit) and have them check your ammonia.

3. Nitrate tests are inaccurate in the presence of nitrite. So...the large Nitrate number doesn't necessarily mean it's that high. I think the Dr. Tims mentions doing a water change. I don't remeber how much...but I don't think you can't go wrong with 25 - 50% (unless your tank is huge and that's cost prohibitive).

4. I don't think you need to add the biomedia. assuming it's not a bare bottom you should have plenty of surface area (also assuming sand and an aquascape of some sort).

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember...my Dr. Tims cycle didn't follow the "schedule" and was "behind" as well..but it all worked out.

Just my thoughts....

1. Likely incorrect ammonia readings. The API ammonia kits get a pretty bad rap around here. Something about them never really showing a zero reading and/or being hard to read. If you haven't added any ammonia in five days...it's probably that the test kit is reading incorrect and you have very likely processed some/all of that ammonia.

2. Get a different ammonia kit reading. Perhaps fish store is nearby? Take a sample to them (assuming they don't use API kit) and have them check your ammonia.

3. Nitrate tests are inaccurate in the presence of nitrite. So...the large Nitrate number doesn't necessarily mean it's that high. I think the Dr. Tims mentions doing a water change. I don't remeber how much...but I don't think you can't go wrong with 25 - 50% (unless you tank is huge and that's cost prohibitive).

4. I don't think you need to add the biomedia. assuming it's not a bare bottom you should have plenty of surface area (also assuming sand and an aquascape of some sort).
Thank you for your reply, appreciate it! :)

1. I will try a couple of more tests, see if I consistently get a 'high' reading with the API

2. I'll pop in to my local fish shop tomorrow anyway, I will bring a sample of water. Honestly don't know what he tests with, but we shall see!

3. I have tested nitrate with API, Hanna and Salifert as well; all showing similar results up in the 80 ppm range

4. Noted - I will leave it be for now! :)

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for sport, I tested ammonia with

SwissLabs Ammonia Test Strips - 0 ppm, (ideal)
Seachem Ammonia Alert - 0.05 ppm (alert)

Might need to buy a Salifert test kit just to tripple check :D

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that just "proves" that the API test isn't as accurate or has a high variation. I would trust the Seachem ammonia alert...in that if you REALLY had 2+ ppm ammonia then the ammonia alert would be "purple" or "toxic"...which it isn't.

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that just "proves" that the API test isn't as accurate or has a high variation. I would trust the Seachem ammonia alert...in that if you REALLY had 2+ ppm ammonia then the ammonia alert would be "purple" or "toxic"...which it isn't.
You're right, my API test kit will definitely go in the bin after this cycle is completed! :D Here's my tests from this morning..

Attachments

• IMG_8200.jpg
    IMG_8200.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_8199.jpg
    IMG_8199.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 49

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A digital or hanna would be a better choice for ammonia...but I think it's just crazy to spend that much money on a test kit I'm only going to use for a couple of weeks. However....the API kits seems to cause quite a bit of 'heartache' when it comes to trying to figure out what's going on with our tanks.

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A digital or hanna would be a better choice for ammonia...but I think it's just crazy to spend that much money on a test kit I'm only going to use for a couple of weeks. However....the API kits seems to cause quite a bit of 'heartache' when it comes to trying to figure out what's going on with our tanks.
Aye, the Hanna is a wee bit expensive for the number of times you're actually gonna use it! Might see if someone local have one I can borrow, I could get one- but I simply do not want to spend the £75 it will cost me! ;)

Moving to Scotland have made me cheap it would seem..

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back