Cycling and Bio-Magnet

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been making saltwater and getting ready to start cycling our 180 . The whole system is 250g minus rock and sand. We used dry rock, 40lbs of dry sand and 80lbs of Carib-sea live sand. I have Bio-Spira and a bottle of Ammonia. My main question is should I use the 4 packs of bio-magnet clarifier ? I assume it's just more bacterial solution ? If it isn't needed I thought I may use it in the 55g QT tank we are setting up also. Also, I understand the bacteria goes in first followed by the ammonia ? Thanks

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bio-magnet is not just a bacterial additive. Not sure what it is other than it has a positive electrical charge that basically binds to negative charged particles in water and then it can be captured by filter floss, settle on rocks, etc. I never use it as in time everything seems to settle anyway.

As for ammonia i always add that first and get it where i want it then add the bacteria. I believe this is recommended way(though probably dont make a huge difference in any case if you adding around same time)

OP
OP
HJ99

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bio-magnet is not just a bacterial additive. Not sure what it is other than it has a positive electrical charge that basically binds to negative charged particles in water and then it can be captured by filter floss, settle on rocks, etc. I never use it as in time everything seems to settle anyway.

As for ammonia i always add that first and get it where i want it then add the bacteria. I believe this is recommended way(though probably dont make a huge difference in any case if you adding around same time)
Thanks. I was actually thinking the same about putting the ammonia in until the desired level. But like you say, if doing it more or less together, probably doesn't matter. The way you describe the clarifier sounds like the stuff they have for ponds. It causes particles and algae to clump and settle to the bottom or get caught in the filter.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back