Cycling concerns

Redshadow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve got a 90 gal saltwater with 40 gal breeder as sump. Tank has dry rock that used to be live rock and base rock. 2 bags of Bahamian dry sand with one bag of marine direct live sand. Used RODI water of course to fill tank with coral pro salt. Tanks been running little over a week now. Ammonia was reading on the tests earlier last week so I bought bottle of micro Bacter and dosed tank Tuesday with bacteria. Reeding have been high ammonia is reading 3.0 nitrite jumped above 1 and I’m getting 2-5 on nitrate. I dosed more bacteria yesterday. Whole bottle of fritz enzyme and today readings are still pretty high. When should these readings start to drop? Bottle says water change after the cycle but high readings like this can’t be good right?

image.jpg BD8EC3D2-2105-4E2D-9102-6286A36F25EB.jpeg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Reeding have been high ammonia is reading 3.0 nitrite jumped above 1 and I’m getting 2-5 on nitrate. I dosed more bacteria yesterday. Whole bottle of fritz “

High ammonia? Details are important, what ppm was ammonia?

None of your numbers are high for 1 week old tank. Also, not necessary to dose more nitrification bacteria as their population doubles every 20 minutes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Redshadow

Redshadow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using Red Sea test kit so my colors are off the charts on ammonia and nitrite. The micro Bacter bottle recommends dosing again at day 4 of the process so I just used what I had left bacteria bottle wise. I noticed I’m starting to get brown patches on my sand and on some of the rock. I guess that’s a good thing, or so I hear.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back