Cycling dry rock in brute

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all am just setting up a new tank and build my scape from dry rock . I have never precycled any rock be for and want to start my new tank off on a good note. Am just starting building my tank a few weeks ago so I should have lots of time for the rock to cycle but my question is what would be the best bacteria additive to add to it ? I was thinking dr Tim’s one and only but was just wanting to get some other ppls thoughts on it . I wanted to order it soon but we’re I live right now is -40 and didn’t think it would be a good idea to order it was worried about freezing

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperature will not effect dry rock. It's dry. Void of life. It's just....rock.
No need to cycle dry rock in a brute (you might be confused with curing of shipped live rock).
Just put the dry rock into the tank (with sand if desired) and cycle in the tank. Dr. Tim's cycling method is easy since it includes food for the bacteria (ammonia). Remember that you need to feed your empty tank so that the bacteria can populate.
Some people go old school and just throw a raw shrimp into the tank, or they ghost feed it and let the cycle just naturally happen.

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Incorrectly curing dry rock is one of the biggest misses in the hobby currently... it leads to the most problems/failures i think I've ever seen. Take FULL advantage of the time you have to cure it .

i go into excruciating detail on this in my thread. If you value info and references, take a read on my thread below. I talk a lot about how to cut the rock correctly - and incidentally - am curing my rock for my next build as we speak.

Have a look, and let me know your questions.

~ Best

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given you have the time it makes sense to kick off your dry rock before adding to the display.

I’m fortunate enough to live near clean sources of NSW so had my pre scaped marco in a dark bin with a heater and natural sea water for two months. Also added bio media from a mature system and small live rock rubble from varying sources. 50% water changes every fortnight. Ghost feed sparingly.

There’s other ways of course but the point is something is likely better than nothing. There’s a tendency for people to think their tank is ready for livestock before it actually is. Pre seeding cuts back on this imo.

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all am just setting up a new tank and build my scape from dry rock . I have never precycled any rock be for and want to start my new tank off on a good note. Am just starting building my tank a few weeks ago so I should have lots of time for the rock to cycle but my question is what would be the best bacteria additive to add to it ? I was thinking dr Tim’s one and only but was just wanting to get some other ppls thoughts on it . I wanted to order it soon but we’re I live right now is -40 and didn’t think it would be a good idea to order it was worried about freezing
Best to source your bottled bacteria locally if possible. You are correct that shipping in that low of temperature will affect the product. Most BRS videos encourage the same given the low temps in MN in the winter.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incorrectly curing dry rock is one of the biggest misses in the hobby currently... it leads to the most problems/failures i think I've ever seen. Take FULL advantage of the time you have to cure it .

i go into excruciating detail on this in my thread. If you value info and references, take a read on my thread below. I talk a lot about how to cut the rock correctly - and incidentally - am curing my rock for my next build as we speak.

Have a look, and let me know your questions.

~ Best

How do you "cure" dry rock??? There's nothing on it to die off. It's just bare rock.
If you put dry rock into a bin with water, pump and heaters (and maybe bacteria and food source), you're cycling it. Not curing it. So why not do the same thing in the tank?

Live rock? Yes, I agree. Large trash bin for the curing process.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you "cure" dry rock??? There's nothing on it to die off. It's just bare rock.
If you put dry rock into a bin with water, pump and heaters (and maybe bacteria and food source), you're cycling it. Not curing it. So why not do the same thing in the tank?

Live rock? Yes, I agree. Large trash bin for the curing process.
The terminology surrounding both rock and cycling/curing can be confusing. The term "dry rock" does not necessarily mean brand new man made rock. It may have been used previously and allowed to dry out in which case a cure would be recommended.

To the OP: I prefer Bio-Spira cycling bacteria. But consider you may not need any bottled cycling bacteria if you plan on curing/cycling the rocks in the brute for at least 4 weeks. In that case, just an ammonia source would be sufficient.

Back