Cycling dry rock tank. Fritzzyme turbo??

Discussion in 'New to Saltwater & Reef Aquariums? Post Here' started by Tylerc33, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Tylerc33

Tylerc33 Member

hey guys this upcoming weekend I will be starting the cycle of my tank I’m using dry rock and sand I’ve heard just throw a piece of shrimp in the tank to start the cycle process but then someone mentioned the fritz zyme turbo start? Do you guys have any recommendations about either of these processes thank you

lapin and IslandLifeReef like this.

2. Tylerc33

Tylerc33 Member

Also I was thinking 80 pounds of rock for 75 gallon tank would you guys say that is good?

lapin likes this.
  3. reacclimating 2 the hobby

reacclimating 2 the hobby patience is... oh look an acro pack fs! R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

there is no set amount of rock, its really what scape pleases your eye

you can use bacteria in a bottle to help get bacteria in the tank sooner... you will still need an ammonia source to feed the bacteria... I prefer ghost feeding over the chance of killing a fish

lapin, cracker and IslandLifeReef like this.
  4. IslandLifeReef

IslandLifeReef Valuable Member Hospitality Award

I prefer dosing ammonia to the tank for the cycle over adding a shrimp or ghost feeding. With dosing, you know exactly how much you added, so you eliminate the questions about whether ammonia is still going up or is on its way down. You can also calculate the amount of nitrate left in the end.

lapin likes this.
  5. lapin

lapin Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Hospitality Award

Time.
    Thats the difference. You can cycle without adding any bacteria. Bacteria is everywhere. It will find your tank, rocks and water. It will take time. Yiou can speed that process by adding the Turbo 900.
    Like posted above the ammonia is a bit more scientific and you have a bit more control over the amount.

IslandLifeReef likes this.
  6. Tylerc33

Tylerc33 Member

Okay so if I do use the turbo start I just pour that in and that cycles my tank for me basically?

7. lapin

lapin Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Hospitality Award

Place rock, sand and salt water in tank. Add turbo start and ammonia as if you were using Dr Tims instructions. 2ppm ect...(or the dead shrimp) Let the ammonia drop to about 0 then dose again, repeat as needed. When you find the ammonia is gone in 24 hours your cycle is almost to the point to add fish. You will see nitrite climb. When your nitrite drops to 0 (it will be converted to nitrate) its time to do a big water change to get rid of the nitrate and you are ready for 1 or 2 fish.
    This can take as little as 2 weeks or as long as 8 weeks.

Draft saved Draft deleted