Cycling dry rock tank. Fritzzyme turbo??

Tylerc33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys this upcoming weekend I will be starting the cycle of my tank I’m using dry rock and sand I’ve heard just throw a piece of shrimp in the tank to start the cycle process but then someone mentioned the fritz zyme turbo start? Do you guys have any recommendations about either of these processes thank you

OP
OP
Tylerc33

Tylerc33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I was thinking 80 pounds of rock for 75 gallon tank would you guys say that is good?

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is no set amount of rock, its really what scape pleases your eye

you can use bacteria in a bottle to help get bacteria in the tank sooner... you will still need an ammonia source to feed the bacteria... I prefer ghost feeding over the chance of killing a fish

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer dosing ammonia to the tank for the cycle over adding a shrimp or ghost feeding. With dosing, you know exactly how much you added, so you eliminate the questions about whether ammonia is still going up or is on its way down. You can also calculate the amount of nitrate left in the end.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time.
Thats the difference. You can cycle without adding any bacteria. Bacteria is everywhere. It will find your tank, rocks and water. It will take time. Yiou can speed that process by adding the Turbo 900.
Like posted above the ammonia is a bit more scientific and you have a bit more control over the amount.

OP
OP
Tylerc33

Tylerc33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so if I do use the turbo start I just pour that in and that cycles my tank for me basically?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Place rock, sand and salt water in tank. Add turbo start and ammonia as if you were using Dr Tims instructions. 2ppm ect...(or the dead shrimp) Let the ammonia drop to about 0 then dose again, repeat as needed. When you find the ammonia is gone in 24 hours your cycle is almost to the point to add fish. You will see nitrite climb. When your nitrite drops to 0 (it will be converted to nitrate) its time to do a big water change to get rid of the nitrate and you are ready for 1 or 2 fish.
This can take as little as 2 weeks or as long as 8 weeks.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 157 61.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 35.0%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.4%
Back