Cycling dry rock... weird chemistry

theiceman5207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all... I have recently started cycling some dry rock in a tote for a new aquarium I am hoping to set up in the near future. I am using Brightwell aquatics microbactor start XLM and their quikcycle ammonia. I am using distilled water and Red Sea coral pro salt (unfortunately RO/DI is not possible in my current living situation). I am on day 5 and I am showing 2PPM ammonia same as day 1 and 0 ppm Nitrite. The Nitrate keeps rising and is now at 10 PPM as of today. Does anyone have advice for what to do and how to tell when it is done since these numbers are all nonsensical. If more info is needed please ask. I am really just lost on this.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just ride it out I cured my rock for my last tank for roughly 7 months.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test the source water for NO3. Was the rock completely white when you first got it? Was the container you are using new? Is it food grade plastic? Is there a lid on it?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all... I have recently started cycling some dry rock in a tote for a new aquarium I am hoping to set up in the near future. I am using Brightwell aquatics microbactor start XLM and their quikcycle ammonia. I am using distilled water and Red Sea coral pro salt (unfortunately RO/DI is not possible in my current living situation). I am on day 5 and I am showing 2PPM ammonia same as day 1 and 0 ppm Nitrite. The Nitrate keeps rising and is now at 10 PPM as of today. Does anyone have advice for what to do and how to tell when it is done since these numbers are all nonsensical. If more info is needed please ask. I am really just lost on this.
Hey welcome iceman
Are you heating and circulating

OP
OP
theiceman5207

theiceman5207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am heating 78-80 degrees F and circulating the water. The source water has been used in the past tanks and is distilled with tested 0 TDS. there is a lid and the container is food safe. The rock is completely barren white as can be dry rock

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the cycle establishes bacteria to change nitogen to less toxic forms.
Ammonia to nitrite to nitrate, less toxic to livestock
So nitrates should be increasing
Eventually we need to find a way to export nitrates, though water changes or filtration or both.

OP
OP
theiceman5207

theiceman5207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the cycle establishes bacteria to change nitogen to less toxic forms.
Ammonia to nitrite to nitrate, less toxic to livestock
So nitrates should be increasing
Eventually we need to find a way to export nitrates, though water changes or filtration or both.
I understand the cycling process and how to reduce nitrates. The question was how is it rising in a system of nothing and a defined amount of ammonia that has not decreased.

thewalkingdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't test anything. Just throw in the rocks, saltwater, bacteria, heater, powerhead, and feed it fish food every day. Let is ride for the next few months. I'd keep it covered because it can begin to stink and you don't want light creating an algae bloom on your rock. Once the rock is tank ready, you'll dump all of that water anyway so who cares if the water has a ton of nitrates in it. Those won't make it into your DT.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back