OP
OP
K

kbsharp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a poopy pic of mine. For idea purposes. Picked up black nylon vail from hobby shop for the screen. 2AEEBFA9-B95E-4064-8D6C-8AB9D108D29B.jpeg
That looks really good actually nice one mate

OP
OP
K

kbsharp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals is why I got into it. Had I known what I know now, I would have pumped the brakes on the coral and mastered my skills Before taking on corals. Parameter swings are unforgiving in a tank our size and being familiar with them helps tremendously. Also, your tank still has a ton of stages to go through…..save yourself and corals the stress. Fish poop is food for corals BTW so healthy fish equals healthy parameter equals happy coral.
I will keep this in mind could save me money and headaches down the line thank you :D

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks really good actually nice one mate
Thank you. Your local hardware store should carry kits like this. It’s really simple.
I will keep this in mind could save me money and headaches down the line thank you :D
Read up on new tank uglies and go through pics. You’ll read countless stories about chasing problems. 9 times outta 10 a corals life is at stake which is stressful for both the coral and the person caring for it. Not saying it can’t be done but it’s work. If you really want to add a coral, I suggest GSP glued to the back wall as close to center and bottom as possible. Use its growth rate as a gauge to your husbandry. It’ll naturally wanto grow towards light and on the back wall it’s easy to keep it from invading the rest of the tank. Once you have consistent growth with consistent parameters you’ll know you’re ready for corals, usually 6+ months. Also bung up that hole on the back wall if you haven’t. It directs stronger flow to the weir where filtering is.

reef_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All ,

I need a little advice on my cycle. I started my tank 2 weeks ago using a shrimp and left it in for only 24hrs as my Ammonia tested high must have been die off from the rock and the ammonia was showing 8ppm after 5 days it dropped to 0 ppm ammonia then my Nitrite picked up and is on 5ppm since and hasn't move bit, my Nitrates went from 5 left it for 4 days and now they are 100ppm. I am using API test kit I know it's not the best but will change to Salifert when cycled. My concern is do I do a water change now or wait until Nitrites are back to 0 as it is only 2 weeks old. Also should I water change because my Nitrates are really high now ??I have not used any ammonia or anything since adding the shrimp for a day 2 weeks ago , do I need to keep adding ammonia ?

2 weeks old

Specs : EVO13.5g Tank
Fritz FritzZyme TurboStart 900 Saltwater 1 oz x 2 bottles
Natures Ocean Bio-Activ Reef Live Sand - 10LB
Caribsea Life Rock (20LB)

1) You can only measure nitrates when your nitrites are zero with some test kits like API, Salifert etc

The nitrate test converts nitrates to small amount of nitrites and measures these converted nitrites. Hence if you still have normal nitrites that will be showing up as a huge nitrate reading. You most likely have very low nitrates at the moment.

Only watch the nitrites for now and once you get a clear blue 0 nitrite, only then measure the nitrates to get the real value.

2) The timeframes are vaguely still in line, nitrite processing capacity develops slower than ammonia processing capacity, easily 2-4x slower.

You can try to figure out the real nitrite values by doing diluted tests, fill test tube 1 ml tank water 4 ml rodi/tap water and do a nitrite test, then multiply the read color by 4.

If nitrtie doesnt change for a while I try to bring nitrite down below 2ppm + turbostart has a faq about cycle stuck with high nitrites as well.

OP
OP
K

kbsharp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) You can only measure nitrates when your nitrites are zero with some test kits like API, Salifert etc

The nitrate test converts nitrates to small amount of nitrites and measures these converted nitrites. Hence if you still have normal nitrites that will be showing up as a huge nitrate reading. You most likely have very low nitrates at the moment.

Only watch the nitrites for now and once you get a clear blue 0 nitrite, only then measure the nitrates to get the real value.

2) The timeframes are vaguely still in line, nitrite processing capacity develops slower than ammonia processing capacity, easily 2-4x slower.

You can try to figure out the real nitrite values by doing diluted tests, fill test tube 1 ml tank water 4 ml rodi/tap water and do a nitrite test, then multiply the read color by 4.

If nitrtie doesnt change for a while I try to bring nitrite down below 2ppm + turbostart has a faq about cycle stuck with high nitrites as well.
Noted thank you

OP
OP
K

kbsharp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Your local hardware store should carry kits like this. It’s really simple.

Read up on new tank uglies and go through pics. You’ll read countless stories about chasing problems. 9 times outta 10 a corals life is at stake which is stressful for both the coral and the person caring for it. Not saying it can’t be done but it’s work. If you really want to add a coral, I suggest GSP glued to the back wall as close to center and bottom as possible. Use its growth rate as a gauge to your husbandry. It’ll naturally wanto grow towards light and on the back wall it’s easy to keep it from invading the rest of the tank. Once you have consistent growth with consistent parameters you’ll know you’re ready for corals, usually 6+ months. Also bung up that hole on the back wall if you haven’t. It directs stronger flow to the weir where filtering is.
I love the look of GSP just scared it will take over in such a small tank but a back wall of GSP would be so great if I build up the courage :D

Back