Cycling first reef tank.

manuel josephh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, so I’ve bought my first reef tank 3 days ago and kickstarted the cycle with fritzzyme 9 and dr tims ammonia. But after 2 days the ammonia levels are still high at 8ppm. It might be higher though but thats as far as my api test kit can test. Is the fritzzyme 9 bacteria not working? Or should i get a different bottled bacteria and dose it into my tank? I’m using dried rock and sand. I’m new to the hobby so I don’t really know alot of stuffGot the fritzzyme 9 cause i heard it can cycle my tank fast hahahaha
45E1B8FB-4B94-47C0-AFB3-F28B35B8891C.png

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well first of all welcome to the hobby! I will usually say the bottled bacteria isn’t a real good thing seeing how it’s usually dead bacteria inside. I would add one pics at least of live rock in there just to help it, make sure it’s wet live rock. It will take about 2 to 4 weeks for it to cycle properly at this point just be patient well done on the Dr Tim’s but I would add some live sand or live rock something to boost the bacteria in there.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll take about a month to cycle.

Once you see Nitrate on a Nitrate test, you're getting there.

There is no point testing for a couple of weeks, testing doesn't help a cycle complete faster.

Patience ;)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back