Cycling Help - Different Tests giving different results

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you went by the tests it looks like you aren't processing the Ammomia. After all this time I would say that is unlikely if all the bacteria you have added wasnt dead. I say you get some more bacteria dump it in there and see if the Ammomia drops in color at all and if nitrites or nitrate show up. You can't really have too much bacteria in a tank so why not?

Others may have other suggestions that don't involve you buying some more bacteria but if you have any laying around I'd say dump it in.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if I should potentially add another couple caps of Seachem stability to add more bacteria. The Ammonia whilst lower, is only lower after the WC. It hasn't moved otherwise. I could always give it another day and dose the bacteria tomorrow but it's not the bacteria or anything that has caused it to move, purely the water change imo.

I only had 1x bag of the purigen in over night, added the other bag this morning.
Gotta say that stuff is putting some particles of the media through my system (as in it's come off/out of the bag slightly). Might only have been due to me moving the bags, but will continue to monitor it.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you went by the tests it looks like you aren't processing the Ammomia. After all this time I would say that is unlikely if all the bacteria you have added wasnt dead. I say you get some more bacteria dump it in there and see if the Ammomia drops in color at all and if nitrites or nitrate show up. You can't really have too much bacteria in a tank so why not?

Others may have other suggestions that don't involve you buying some more bacteria but if you have any laying around I'd say dump it in.

Thanks for the input, I have a bottle of Stability I bought only a couple days ago, so was thinking of doing just that.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if I should potentially add another couple caps of Seachem stability to add more bacteria. The Ammonia whilst lower, is only lower after the WC. It hasn't moved otherwise. I could always give it another day and dose the bacteria tomorrow but it's not the bacteria or anything that has caused it to move, purely the water change imo.

I only had 1x bag of the purigen in over night, added the other bag this morning.
Gotta say that stuff is putting some particles of the media through my system (as in it's come off/out of the bag slightly). Might only have been due to me moving the bags, but will continue to monitor it.
Thanks for the input, I have a bottle of Stability I bought only a couple days ago, so was thinking of doing just that.
Ain’t gonna do any harm

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't really have too much bacteria in your tank. So I wouldn't wait. If it is cycled technically it should be lowering that ammonia overnight without an issue. I dont expect it to be 0 but some movement would be nice. Also no Nitrate is fishy even with a WC if you have that much Ammonia and its cycled some Nitrate should be there.

I say add bacteria check tomorrow. Goodluck ill wait and see what happens.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as we try not to buy stuff from Petco, we got it there.
9D6404A4-D3CC-47B6-9A4C-03359AB51D84.jpeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We had been told by our fish store there’s no over-doing bacteria. I’d put more in.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had been told by our fish store there’s no over-doing bacteria. I’d put more in.
I'm in agreement. If you are just waiting on bacteria out of the air to cycle your tank its a lot longer wait. If it is just bacteria in the bottle at this point double the dose and if its something else that also contains bacteria but other things I think the label needs to be read to make sure. But just plain bacteria you aren't going to harm a thing and different brands use different bacteria so my diversity is always better!

SparklesMcgraw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly is odd what you are seeing. I started my cycle last week. 80 gallon and used dr.Tim’s and ammonia. These are my results so far. Have caribsea live sand and the life rock in the tank.

I’m not seeing Ammonia budge yet although as I am using red sea test kits they only show a maximum of 2ppm. I am seeing movement in the nitrites and nitrates though so I’m hoping it’s on track.

Day 1 - add ammonia and One and only

Day 2 - Ammonia = 2ppm +

Nitrite =0.05 ppm

Nitrate = 2 ppm

pH = 8

Day 3 - Ammonia = 2ppm

Nitrite = 0.2 ppm

pH = 7.5 - 8

Day 4 - Ammonia = 2ppm

Nitrite = 0.5 ppm

pH = 8

Day 5 - Ammonia = 2ppm

Nitrite = 0.5 ppm

pH = 7.5 - 8

Day 6- Ammonia = 2ppm

Nitrite = 1ppm

pH = 7.5

Nitrate = 5 ppm

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly is odd what you are seeing. I started my cycle last week. 80 gallon and used dr.Tim’s and ammonia. These are my results so far. Have caribsea live sand and the life rock in the tank.

I’m not seeing Ammonia budge yet although as I am using red sea test kits they only show a maximum of 2ppm. I am seeing movement in the nitrites and nitrates though so I’m hoping it’s on track.

Day 1 - add ammonia and One and only

Day 2 - Ammonia = 2ppm +

Nitrite =0.05 ppm

Nitrate = 2 ppm

pH = 8

Day 3 - Ammonia = 2ppm

Nitrite = 0.2 ppm

pH = 7.5 - 8

Day 4 - Ammonia = 2ppm

Nitrite = 0.5 ppm

pH = 8

Day 5 - Ammonia = 2ppm

Nitrite = 0.5 ppm

pH = 7.5 - 8

Day 6- Ammonia = 2ppm

Nitrite = 1ppm

pH = 7.5

Nitrate = 5 ppm

Keep your ph up but that looks like it is going in the right direction. The Nitrate could be a false positive bc most of those tests do not work great for Nitrate when theres nitrite present or they are at least elevated. Once you see the nitrite go up and then disappear yours should be cycled! Also sounds like your bacteria was alive.

SparklesMcgraw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Not to derail the thread but what’s the best way to raise ph at this moment? I am only at 24ppt salinity as read it can help the cycle so maybe that’s why it’s a touch low. Also am using cheap strips so they are not accurate. Will get a hanna pH checker next week.

paul barker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bright well micro 7 is what I use to cycle 150 of dry rock for my new 220 tank i have never Worry about ph in any of my tanks i ghost feed my tanks after NO2 reading i stop checking for ammonia when when NO2 went to 0 stop testing that changed 50% of the water then whet to testing NO3 my cycle was done in two weeks put a fish in a just checking for NO3 ones a week keep the under 20 don't chase the number dragon it will make you lose you mine with ph just go slow and it will all work out fine

paul barker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after one year I checking NO3 5ppm and PO4 .08 1.025 CAL 450 KH 9 MAG 1500 PH don't know lol

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 18

Salifert - Ammonia - I think this is showing me about 0.5?
20210125_053453.jpg

API Ammonia - Showing approx 1
20210125_054015.jpg

Nitrite - Showing 0.25
20210125_054043.jpg

Nitrate - Showing 0 (maaaaybe 5.0? I dont think the yellow matches 5 though).
20210125_054435.jpg

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nitrite is a good sign thats what is good to see. Hopefully it will get a lot darker tomorrow. This means the nitrite bacteria are converting from ammonia. The API kits from what I understand convert Nitrate back to nitrite so the nitrate reading can be a little confusing when nitrite is in the system. But this is a good sign for sure its doing what it's supposed to do.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point it isn't so much as how much ammonia you have. It is more is the ammonia color getting lighter and the nitrite color getting darker. Theoretically when the nitrite goes up and then disappears and you measure Nitrate it is pretty much cycled.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, I appreciate everyone's feedback and input. Crazy how long it's taken for this thing to get going.

I'll give it another dose of stabiliser today too, just to keep things on the right track.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, I appreciate everyone's feedback and input. Crazy how long it's taken for this thing to get going.

I'll give it another dose of stabiliser today too, just to keep things on the right track.

Yeah no reason not to. What kind of fish you putting in once its ready? Have you been looking?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back