Cycling Help - Different Tests giving different results

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say add a little livestock at a time. Like 1 fish or 2 with small bioload. Or if you have algae a couple of snails and wait a week or two. Don't overload your tank or you might see an ammonia spike.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say add a little livestock at a time. Like 1 fish or 2 with small bioload. Or if you have algae a couple of snails and wait a week or two. Don't overload your tank or you might see an ammonia spike.

I was thinking a pair of clowns and a zombie snail or two.
Think that'd be okay?

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys.
Just about to start my WC (have to do it in 2 parts because I don't have enough water on hand to do it all at once lol).
75L now and then goto the shop, grab more water and then another 75L. (Or do you think 75L change would be enough in my waterbox 70.2)

Would clowns etc be fine if the salinity is up a little? Will work to get this adjusted down to the 1.025 mark but as I'll go get everything all at once, save me an extra trip (until tomorrow when i'll get some more water to keep on hand).

Can't wait to actually get some drums to fill up at home so I can hold more water lol.

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 75L wC is about a 35% change for our tanks. Its whatever you can do. More the better. Need to get one of those food grade storage containers mate. 190L Makes it so much easier. I also think they have a 220L can send you the details $45 bucks from memory. Were old olive barrels just wash with bicarb soda a couple times and your set.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 75L wC is about a 35% change for our tanks. Its whatever you can do. More the better. Need to get one of those food grade storage containers mate. 190L Makes it so much easier. I also think they have a 220L can send you the details $45 bucks from memory. Were old olive barrels just wash with bicarb soda a couple times and your set.
I think the last big one I did was about 125L.
Might aim for that again. Just means I use what I have here and then run to the shop grab more and finish it when I get back. That way the rock stays wet pretty much and it's only the top section left to fill up. Fish will just have to stay in the bag a bit longer. lol

Just had to WC my little fresh water tank today too. It's over populated thanks to the guppies breeding twice in the past 2 months, but everything was pretty good apart from Nitrates which were up a bit.

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a pain in the butt doing trips hope you don't live to far from them haha. Take a water sample in to them. I got 4 x 35L food grade containers from bunnings $24 each easy to store and carry. Think ocean marine have 25L but $25 each

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a pain in the butt doing trips hope you don't live to far from them haha. Take a water sample in to them. I got 4 x 35L food grade containers from bunnings $24 each easy to store and carry. Think ocean marine have 25L but $25 each

Yeah I got 25L ones from bunnings cause they didn't have the 35L ones.
Will be good when I can just arrange to get my drums filled up and it's good for a month or two (hopefully).

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Final test before adding fish.

After the large WC of about 125L results are as below;
Ammonia 0-0.25
Nitrite - 0.50
Nitrate - 5-10
pH - 7.8
Also checked Salinity and it's currently about 1.027. Will likely adjust a little and try get this down a little more but I expect 1.027 to be 'ok' considering there's no sensitive corals etc yet and it's just some hardy fish going in.

20210130_134346.jpg

Will continue to monitor & test over the next couple days whilst the fish are settling in.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last follow up post to show how we're going now.
Looks like everything is spot on at Day 26 (didn't test yesterday).

Ammonia - 0
20210202_060740.jpg

Nitrite - 0
20210202_060753.jpg

Nitrate - 0
20210202_060811.jpg

pH - 7.8-8
20210202_060726.jpg

Gave it one last dose of stabiliser but very happy to say everything is going amazingly.
Thank you again guys for following along with the thread and keeping up to date with the progress and providing helpful advice.
Hopefully this thread can serve as assistance to others in future.

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to see with your fish your ammonia is still at 0 always promising that the bacteria is doing its job. I would say your Nitrate is more 5-10 personally. Exciting stuff mate shame about the current lockdown atm.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 32 84.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.9%
Back