Cycling Help

KDG730

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am cycling my first tank using Dr Tims Ammonia and One and Only

2 Nights ago I dosed 4 drops of ammonia per gallon as instructed on the bottle to get to 2ppm and dumped the one and only in. Last night it only measured .5ppm so I added more. Wasn't sure if that meant it got to 2ppm and then the bacteria brought it to .5 or if it never got up to 2ppm. Im going to test again tonight

From what ive read I want it to get to 2ppm then back to 0ppm and then redose to 2ppm and see if it goes away In 24 hours.

My question is should I keep adding more until it gets to 2ppm or just let it sit? Does it take time to accumulate up or should it go right to 2ppm right when I dose the ammonia?

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test for ammonia tonight and write it down or remember what it is. Figure out the drops required to get back up to 2ppm to 2.5ppm and dose the drops, preferably in a area with good flow. Set around for 15 minutes while the ammonia dilutes and is thoroughly mixed into the water and test after the 15 minutes has passed. Write that down or remember. Check again in 12 hours so you can document and be sure you are cooking. Don't go over 3.5ppm or 4ppm, as you may stall the cycle.

00Barracuda00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in a very similar situation.

I've been holding off on dosing back up, and testing daily. Once I showed 0ppm, I dosed back up to ~2ppm. I've done it 3x now in roughly 3 weeks. Each time it's been faster reducing the ammonia. I just redosed last night, and expect to have 0ppm reading today.

I'm an over cautious type, so I'd just wait it out. But you do run the risk of miscalulating and overdosing the tank a bit.

OP
OP
K

KDG730

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in a very similar situation.

I've been holding off on dosing back up, and testing daily. Once I showed 0ppm, I dosed back up to ~2ppm. I've done it 3x now in roughly 3 weeks. Each time it's been faster reducing the ammonia. I just redosed last night, and expect to have 0ppm reading today.

I'm an over cautious type, so I'd just wait it out. But you do run the risk of miscalulating and overdosing the tank a bit.

Did you find that 4 drops per gallon dosed it to 2ppm? I guess that is part of my confusion. I will have to test right after dosing

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've been having a bunch of new cycling threads where we haven't discussed the type of rock being used, there's two main types, and only one type requires you to add bacteria, feed them, and wait. To advise a cycling tank one must know what type of rocks you're working with... The dry kind, that need bac, or live rock, which never needs our help with bac. It doesn't even require us to feed it, live rock bacteria access their own feed from hydrated/contaminated media anyway.

What kind of rock is this tank

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must have diluted ammonium chloride. Mine is one drop per gallon as per instructions.
20190307_125149.jpg

OP
OP
K

KDG730

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've been having a bunch of new cycling threads where we haven't discussed the type of rock being used, there's two main types, and only one type requires you to add bacteria, feed them, and wait. To advise a cycling tank one must know what type of rocks you're working with... The dry kind, that need bac, or live rock, which never needs our help with bac. It doesn't even require us to feed it, live rock bacteria access their own feed from hydrated/contaminated media anyway.

What kind of rock is this tank

Dry rock that's what I added The Dr Tims One and Only

ekoed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you start with live sand? I did mine with dr tims as well, and also dr tims one and only, (the entire bottle). My ammonia took off within 2 days, and i think my nitrites took around 4 to really get going. I then proceeded to add a little more bacteria, this time I didnt have anything left but some Top Fin, so I added a few drops of that. my cycle took about 2.5 to 3 weeks before it was safe for a fish.

Last edited:

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also drank the dr. Tim koolaid five years ago. It worked as described and I was happy, and in the end had a successful reef. Fritz 900 has the lead today though. Very nice thread on this site to read. I used ammonia, not a fish, 3 days to cycle w/ reef cleaner dry rock.

StayGolden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i never use any products for cycling (except for seachem stability to add the bacteria). Just put a piece of shrimp (you can also you use fish food. pellets work well since they take a while to dissolve) in the water, and test everyday until ammonia gets to your desired level, then take the shrimp out, and wait for bacteria to consume it. if levels get toxic, just do a slight water change to bring them down, and continue to wait until your test read 0. with stability i always start tanks in 7 days with this method, and never had an issue.

00Barracuda00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you find that 4 drops per gallon dosed it to 2ppm? I guess that is part of my confusion. I will have to test right after dosing

The first dose, I meticulously counted out the 364 drops required for my tank size.

Each dose after that, I just roughly got to around 300 and called it good enough. (which is closer to 3 drops per gallon)

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all you new reefers run your tanks by the 1/2 drop, the hobby is alive and well if you dose your strontium that way. Dose the ammonia, take a shower or cook supper. Test it 15 or 20 minutes after the ammonia dose to make sure it's not over 4ppm. Clean your vials up and go to bed knowing the tank is doing what you are making it do. We are not shooting missiles to the moon yet, just feeding the bacteria enough to keep it happy.

OP
OP
K

KDG730

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested it again and its around 2ppm. So now i just wait until gets to zero then redose hoping it goes away in 24 hrs right?

OP
OP
K

KDG730

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my ammonia has been consistently high the past few days. About 2-4ppm hard to tell maybe even a bit more. Im not sure but im thinking maybe i overdosed the ammonia to start shouldnt it be going down by now since i put the bacteria in?

Need some help what i should do from here?

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my ammonia has been consistently high the past few days. About 2-4ppm hard to tell maybe even a bit more. Im not sure but im thinking maybe i overdosed the ammonia to start shouldnt it be going down by now since i put the bacteria in?

Need some help what i should do from here?

Patience. Don;t test so much. Let it do its thing. You are already chasing numbers. Monitor, don't chase. Be patient.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back