Cycling Homestretch

Aggie1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I would like to thank this group for all the wonderful advice I've been getting - what a tremendous resource for us newbies!

So I've finished the first part of my cycling and moving to the next (following the stages described here: https://https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/when-is-the-right-time-to-add-coral.243777//. I started cycling (kickstarting with Fritz Turno 900 + Ammonia Chloride) only 12 days ago - my parameters have been stable for the past 4 days (ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 50-60, ph 8.2, salinity 1.027). While I know I could theoretically introduce my first fish and corals I would like to take my tank through all the remaining phases (4. Diatoms, 5. Cyanobacteria, 6. Green/brown algae) before adding any livestock. I figure my tank is too young, I'm not in a rush, and I want to lay a solid foundation for long-term stability by getting the tank to a more mature stage. During this time I can also continue to educate myself and learn! Is there any real utility in doing this or am I overthinking? A few questions:

1) As I wait for through the next stages (4,5 &6) should I be ghost feeding or otherwise be providing some food source for the bacteria colonies?
2) Should I turn on my lights now and through the next phases?
3) When should I start my skimmer? Refugium?
4) Should I be doing any water changes?
5) Should I expect another 2 or 3 weeks, or months? to move through these remaining stages?

THANKS!

tank2.jpg
tank.jpg
tank2.jpg

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank. I’m a couple years in on my 125 DT and I have algae blooms whenever I add new fish, and occasional chemistry issues when I add/sell corals. In my opinion, unless you slowly add fish over the course of the reef after you will likely get an algae bloom of some sort eventually. Just my opinion

maceto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank!

When I started my first reef tank, I received from this amazing community all amazing advice. I can say one was the best, and it was "You need to be patient" :) 12 days is nothing. Your ammonia will spike in a couple of weeks, and in a month, your cycling will be done. In my opinion, you don't need a skimmer if you don't have wast to eliminate the same for the refugium. I learn only to set up a solution when you have a problem.

That is my humble opinion, being new in this hobby for saltwater tanks. :)

I hope this helps.

OP
OP
Aggie1978

Aggie1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank. I’m a couple years in on my 125 DT and I have algae blooms whenever I add new fish, and occasional chemistry issues when I add/sell corals. In my opinion, unless you slowly add fish over the course of the reef after you will likely get an algae bloom of some sort eventually. Just my opinion
Thanks, yes so perhaps a more realistic approach would be to start very slowly and incrementally adding livestock over time fully knowing that I will move through the other stages/events when the tank is ready - and then just deal and manage it when it happens?

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, yes so perhaps a more realistic approach would be to start very slowly and incrementally adding livestock over time fully knowing that I will move through the other stages/events when the tank is ready - and then just deal and manage it when it happens?
Personally, I think a lot of prep and ‘necessary’ things in this hobby are garbage. I see the benefits I see why but I was told we quarantine fish to rid them of ick. When in fact, ick is always present in the water column. So the real reason we QT is to get them to eat, so they can fight off ick if it ever was to infiltrate the fish or come in contact. I think nature finds its balance in weird ways and with time comes that stability. I do think some things are essential and appropriate in keeping a reef tank but if you waited to add fish, until all cycling is complete I mean there are no issues regarding corals and treatment, if that makes sense. When there’s an issue it means there isn’t balance and a little adjusting typically will resolve those issues. All opinion here from experience. I’ve had diatoms, cyano, dinos. Many times each actually lol! Hair algae, chaeto (good), bubble algae. Less is more. I also can’t keep acros so let’s knock that credibility. I’m also certain there is success in fully cycling a tank as compared to early fish and coral startup. There’s an infinite number of ways to do this hobby you just gotta find what suits your budget, time, and energy.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My "goto" when using a skimmer on a new tank - "when you see the first signs of algae, fire up the skimmer".

Re: Patience - when you suspect it's done cycling add 2 more weeks & test, test, test. Then when it's confirmed add fish slowly, like one a month.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back