Cycling Issue (Dr Tim's Ammonia + Brightwell Microbacter XLM)

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about 7 or 8 days ago I put 140 drops (instead of the recommended 180 drops cause I heard of overdosing issues) of Dr Tim's Ammonia Chloride in my 55 Gallon to get the Ammonia kickstarted. This was in the evening.

The following morning (roughly 12 hours later) I tested my Ammonia which was about 2.0-3.0ppm ish and then I put in the recommended amount of Brightwell Microbacter XLM which is 15x concentration nitrifying bacteria to get everything kickstarted (bottle says cycled in 7 days). For a 55 Gallon I believe it recommended something like 12 caps, but I put 13-14ish just to make sure there was a sufficient amount.

About 2-3 days later the Ammonia was the exact same so I put another 3 caps of the bacteria.

Today (6th day) I tested my Ammonia and it was still the exact same (still no Nitrites either) so I put another 3 Caps of the bacteria.

I'm wondering why on earth my Ammonia has stayed the exact same and if maybe I got a dead bottle of Brightwell XLM or what? I'm wondering if at this point I should try a different bacteria (I heard Fritz Turbo Start 900 or Bio-Spira might be good options), or would that mess up my system/cycle by having too much bacteria potentially (and I assume maybe different KINDS of bacteria? Not sure how that works exactly to be honest).

I know patience is the name of the game with the hobby, but when it's advertised to be a 7 day cycle, yet my Ammonia hasn't at least BUDGED in 6 days? Seems like something is off, no?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dump the whole bottle in. If the bacteria was exposed to extreme heat or cold, it might have had some issues. One thing that might help is toss a little bit of fish food in too to add some carbon source. Someone on here once mentioned that microbacter 7 can become carbon limited but I'm not sure.

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dump the whole bottle in. If the bacteria was exposed to extreme heat or cold, it might have had some issues. One thing that might help is toss a little bit of fish food in too to add some carbon source. Someone on here once mentioned that microbacter 7 can become carbon limited but I'm not sure.
The whole thing? But if that overdoses won't that just cause MORE ammonia from dead bacteria? That said, I have no way to know that even.

On the flip side I'm almost debating getting Fritz 9 instead or something.

The Brightwell XLM was shipped to me from across the Country (Canada) and took maybe a week or so to get here and was not in any sort of cold packaging. So could that have killed any bacteria despite them branding it as not needing to be kept cold.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole thing? But if that overdoses won't that just cause MORE ammonia from dead bacteria? That said, I have no way to know that even.

On the flip side I'm almost debating getting Fritz 9 instead or something.

The Brightwell XLM was shipped to me from across the Country (Canada) and took maybe a week or so to get here and was not in any sort of cold packaging. So could that have killed any bacteria despite them branding it as not needing to be kept cold.

No it won't cause an ammonia issue. I would just go ahead and do that. Whenever I cycle a tank I just put the whole bottle of whatever bacteria in. It wouldn't hurt to put a tiny bit of fish food in as there is a tiny chance the bacteria is limited by phosphate or carbon (again that is rare from my experience but it could be possible)

Texfisher33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about 7 or 8 days ago I put 140 drops (instead of the recommended 180 drops cause I heard of overdosing issues) of Dr Tim's Ammonia Chloride in my 55 Gallon to get the Ammonia kickstarted. This was in the evening.

The following morning (roughly 12 hours later) I tested my Ammonia which was about 2.0-3.0ppm ish and then I put in the recommended amount of Brightwell Microbacter XLM which is 15x concentration nitrifying bacteria to get everything kickstarted (bottle says cycled in 7 days). For a 55 Gallon I believe it recommended something like 12 caps, but I put 13-14ish just to make sure there was a sufficient amount.

About 2-3 days later the Ammonia was the exact same so I put another 3 caps of the bacteria.

Today (6th day) I tested my Ammonia and it was still the exact same (still no Nitrites either) so I put another 3 Caps of the bacteria.

I'm wondering why on earth my Ammonia has stayed the exact same and if maybe I got a dead bottle of Brightwell XLM or what? I'm wondering if at this point I should try a different bacteria (I heard Fritz Turbo Start 900 or Bio-Spira might be good options), or would that mess up my system/cycle by having too much bacteria potentially (and I assume maybe different KINDS of bacteria? Not sure how that works exactly to be honest).

I know patience is the name of the game with the hobby, but when it's advertised to be a 7 day cycle, yet my Ammonia hasn't at least BUDGED in 6 days? Seems like something is off, no?
What were your end results? i'm on day 7 after underdosing ammonia same as you and still have off the chart ammonia. I'm debating adding some different bacteria but i've also read folks saying not to mix during a cycle. Maybe it's just a marketing scheme?

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What were your end results? i'm on day 7 after underdosing ammonia same as you and still have off the chart ammonia. I'm debating adding some different bacteria but i've also read folks saying not to mix during a cycle. Maybe it's just a marketing scheme
Since he was never heard from again, I have to assume the bacteria consumed him as well.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back