Cycling marco rocks in tank vs out of tank?

maxpare79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I just got a pleasant surprise, my waterbox aio 50.3 just shipped and will arrive tomorrow, I thought it wouldn't arrive for another 8 weeks but here it comes.

I just started cycling my Marco Rocks in a bin yesterday not knowing the tank would arrive this fast.

Is there an advantage of continuing cycling in a bin rather then in the tank?

Rocks have already been clean in a 1:1 rodi water/vinegar solutions for 2 days. And scrubbed as well.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The advantage of it in the bin is its easier to keep it dark and you can do it before the tank arrives. You can move it to the tank if you want, just remove any filter sock or carbon and such from the tank.

OP
OP
M

maxpare79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cycled a lot of freshwater tanks, first salt water...Could explain why keeping it in the dark beneficial? I never had to in my fw tanks

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just threw mine in my tank after a thorough rinsing and scrubbing and let them cycle with the tank. I don't see any benefit of doing it in a separate tank or bin, but I could be wrong. Maybe one of the marine biologists on here can explain if there is a good reason or not. ;Happy

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cycled a lot of freshwater tanks, first salt water...Could explain why keeping it in the dark beneficial? I never had to in my fw tanks

You can let the rock get more of a bacterial film and what not to prevent algae from growing as widely, especially if the rock was previously used. This is more important with previously used rock that would leach phosphate and become an algae farm

newfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer cycling in a bin. I assume you’re doing fishless cycle. All the ammonia you add over the course of the cycle is going to be converted to nitrates. If you do this in the bin, you can just move the rock to your display and have clean water . If you cycle in the tank, you’re going to have high nitrates. Of course you can do water change to bring the nitrates down. Using the bin is less work in my opinion, especially you’re already started.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back