Cycling my New Tank

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tdileo I have heard of a lot of people doing it that way. Iv heard a lot of push back on it from here so I am try to stay clean. But now the clowns are removed and I keep seeing a lot to add Chromis, but like @Idoc said its possibly putting them in a tank to their Death. But it is hard to see the tank empty. Chromis are really hardy little fish though i'v heard.
I don't have any Chromis....but I can't recall if they are "tough" or not. I think I've heard of people using damsels, though. I let my tank cycle for almost 2 months...tough with nothing in it, but the time passes relatively quickly. Plus, I used that time to setup my QT and actually had 2 clowns in quarantine during the cycle...so actually, I did have fish to look at!

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tdileo I have heard of a lot of people doing it that way. Iv heard a lot of push back on it from here so I am try to stay clean. But now the clowns are removed and I keep seeing a lot to add Chromis, but like @Idoc said its possibly putting them in a tank to their Death. But it is hard to see the tank empty. Chromis are really hardy little fish though i'v heard.

I really think most fish are the same level of hardiness.. A chromis is as hardy as a pajama cardinal which is as hardy as a clownfish or as hardy as a tang (of course as long as it doesn’t come with ich lol). You COULD do it with a chromis. But make sure you truly like the fish and want to keep it because I consider it cruel to use it for cycling and then return it. The best way is probably to throw a piece of raw shrimp in for a month and let it decompose. However if you must do a fish, make sure you monitor ammonia and nitrite as well as the fish for signs of stress so you can do a water change or dose ammonia neutralizer.

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only set up my QT when I need it. But, I use BioSpira soaked in the Aquaclear HOB filter sponge and monitor ammonia closely that first week or so. I use a 10g for smaller/single fish, but have a 20g long to use in case I am going to quarantine 2 fish or a little larger ones. Advice...make sure you have a lid. I just quarantined a Diamond Goby for 6 weeks...the day before moving to the DT, he jumped! Egg-crate didn't even keep him in! Now, starting over!!!

Among those 8 fish I did ttm/hypo on was my diamond goby.. Dude almost jumped every time I went to xfer. On the final transfer from the tote to the 29g I was trying to catch one of the wrasses and he actually did. Sounded like a bird flew in my ear. Fortunately for him I kept the totes on the ground so it wasn't that far off a fall. Scared the heck out of me lol

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do make covers though. I take egg crate and cut all but one row around and then zip tie netting. I had a bunch of extra netting from brs after I made a top for the dt. I have 2 wrasses, 2 more coming this week, and am going to have about a dozen more when my 180 is done. Between them and the goby, lids are a must. I honestly feel all tanks should be covered though anyway. Buddy of mine lost his 3" female clown to jumping
15209628101996055211536795069784.jpg

OP
OP
BellaCoop

BellaCoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Idoc dang that sucks... QT is the worst part of Tanks.. No LFS can be trust haha

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back