Cycling my tank Day 11

Saintgoodness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50 gal all in one tank. I’ve been cycling for 11 days. I added about 30 lbs of dry rock on top of a fiji sand substrate. I removed the filter sock and added Dr Tim’s All in One. I’m doing a fishless cycle and I’ve been running the tank with no lights, no protein skimmer and no refugium. My levels after 11 days are:

Ammonia 0.50 ppm
Nitrite 5.0 ppm
Nitrate 20 ppm

My Nitrite and Nitrate levels are clearly high. Is this normal? Do I give it a day or two to see if the levels drop? I’m guessing I practice patience here to let the nitrifyinig bacteria complete the cycle, but I’m guessing here. Is this correct or should I do something else? Thanks in advance!

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, cracks knuckles.

What test kits are you using?
What is, was, your ammonia source?
How high was your ammonia at its peak?

The parameters look normal for 11 days in, using API test kits and a peak ammonia level of 1.0-1.5ppm
I would gather in another 4 - 5 days your Ammonia will be down (If API Tests used) to .25 and Nitrite will be close if not 0, Nitrate will be higher.

OP
OP
S

Saintgoodness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, cracks knuckles.

What test kits are you using?
What is, was, your ammonia source?
How high was your ammonia at its peak?

The parameters look normal for 11 days in, using API test kits and a peak ammonia level of 1.0-1.5ppm
I would gather in another 4 - 5 days your Ammonia will be down (If API Tests used) to .25 and Nitrite will be close if not 0, Nitrate will be higher.
I’m using the API test kit. Dr Tims ammonia is my source. The kit says 4 drops per gal, but I only did 2 drops since I read several post that said 4 drops overdosed their tanks. My highest reading was 2.0ppm at day 4. I added another drop per gal on day 8.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using the API test kit. Dr Tims ammonia is my source. The kit says 4 drops per gal, but I only did 2 drops since I read several post that said 4 drops overdosed their tanks. My highest reading was 2.0ppm at day 4. I added another drop per gal on day 8.

Gotcha, what did the ammonia rise to after the second dose of ammonia?

Well in any case your in the home stretch.
I recommend to add nothing and just let nature take its course.
When the Ammonia, gets down to .25 (API version of 0) and Nitrite gets to 0, or clear blue, your Nitrate will be in the 25-30 range I would gather, but no guarantee on that.

Once you see these test results, it is time for your major water change, to drop those Nitrates.
Give it a day or two, test again for a double check and you should be good to go for the clean up crew. (CUC)
As you have had your lights off there will be very little algae so don't go crazy with the CUC. Fish are next.

OP
OP
S

Saintgoodness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When the Ammonia, gets down to .25 (API version of 0) and Nitrite gets to 0, or clear blue, your Nitrate will be in the 25-30 range I would gather, but no guarantee on that.

Once you see these test results, it is time for your major water change, to drop those Nitrates.
Give it a day or two, test again for a double check and you should be good to go for the clean up crew. (CUC)
As you have had your lights off there will be very little algae so don't go crazy with the CUC. Fish are next.
my ammonia jumped to 1.0 ppm, but has sense dropped back down to .5. Appreciate the tips. One more question: Should I put my filter sock back on? I’ve left it off since I don’t have anything in the tank and Dr Tim advised leaving it off to allow the bacteria to populate in the tank and not in the sock.

OP
OP
S

Saintgoodness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks! On a 50gal a major water change is 20gal?

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my ammonia jumped to 1.0 ppm, but has sense dropped back down to .5. Appreciate the tips. One more question: Should I put my filter sock back on? I’ve left it off since I don’t have anything in the tank and Dr Tim advised leaving it off to allow the bacteria to populate in the tank and not in the sock.
AHHH YES to sock or not to sock.
That is the question.
As there is nothing to filter yet he makes a solid point not to.
I guess I would agree with Dr Tim.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back