Cycling Process

ChandlerTingle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m on the 3rd day of cycling for my 38 gallon tank with the products Dr. Tim’s Ammonia Chloride and API QuickStart.
First Day the Ammonia was on 2.0 ppm and has been for the 3 days but Nitrites have not gone up. Should I be worried or is this normal, Which day is usually when you see the nitrites going up and when can I turn my Hang on the back filter back on?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m on the 3rd day of cycling for my 38 gallon tank with the products Dr. Tim’s Ammonia Chloride and API QuickStart.
First Day the Ammonia was on 2.0 ppm and has been for the 3 days but Nitrites have not gone up. Should I be worried or is this normal, Which day is usually when you see the nitrites going up and when can I turn my Hang on the back filter back on?
Normal, but with some considerations:
1. Sometimes it takes a while for nitrifiers to come out of dormancy, depending on the product.
2. I would not necessarily QuickStart. It boasts that its bacteria can work in both freshwater and marine aquariums, but generally it is considered that most nitrifiers are adapted to either a fresh or saline environment, not both: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8702281/. So either QuickStart somehow has the types that can work in both, contains different types of nitrifiers - some adapted to freshwater and some to saltwater - and thus only some will survive and thrive, or don't know what they are doing/lying about it.
3. You should absolutely have your HOB filter on. Did someone tell you to have it off? I already told you to turn it on last time...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ChandlerTingle

ChandlerTingle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal, but with some considerations:
1. Sometimes it takes a while for nitrifiers to come out of dormancy, depending on the product.
2. I would not necessarily QuickStart. It boasts that its bacteria can work in both freshwater and marine aquariums, but generally it is considered that most nitrifiers are adapted to either a fresh or saline environment, not both: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8702281/. So either QuickStart somehow has the types that can work in both, contains different types of nitrifiers - some adapted to freshwater and some to saltwater - and thus only some will survive and thrive, or don't know what they are doing/lying about it.
3. You should absolutely have your HOB filter on. Did someone tell you to have it off? I already told you to turn it on last time...
Some reason, I don’t get the notifications so I never saw it

Upvote 0

Appoloreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am cycling a 125 bare bottom tank and it has been going for a week and my ammonia is at 2.0 Nitrites are at .50 and my Nitrates are at 5. When my tank is cycled these are the things I would like to add of course over time.
6 green chromis
1 fox face
1 lamarck angle
1-Starry blennie
1-McCoskers Flasher Wrasse
2-Misbar Blood Orange clownfish
1 Lavendar tang
5 Lyretail Anthias
Corals
1-Green star Polyps
2-Pulsing Xenia
1-Green Toadstool
2-Kenya Tree
is this too much for 125 gallons?

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back