Cycling question all levels are high after change

AustinR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question that I hope someone can answer. I have been cycling my tank fishless for 5 weeks. I have 75 gallon tank using dry rock 90 pounds and live sand 120 lbs. Using a fluval Fx6 canister filter. Also In the tank is 2 powerheads and a HOB skimmer that both seem to be working well. Lastly I Have 300 watt LEDs on top. I also have a UV light that I’m not currently using because I heard it may slow the cycle process.

I have been using tap water with prime but will have a RO/DO system being delivered on Thursday.

My question is about my levels.

Ammonia levels are 1.0 ppm
Nitrite 2.0 ppm
Nitrate 10 ppm

Seems from my research these levels should not be like this for a tank that is cycling.

Or is this normal for a tank?

No animals are inside the tank ,been also using Stability.

I have been through the white cloudy bacteria bloom which has cleared up and the tank is crystal clear with a little bit of algae Diatom which I am hoping that the RO/DO will help clear it up.
Is their something I need to do to help out these levels or add to the water?
I’m ready to have a little more stability.

I have done a 25 percent water change and cleaned my filter with my my tank water in the last 3 days

I also added additional biological media to my canister along with filter floss, active carbon and poly filter during initial set up.

Is their something I am missing or are my levels normal for a cycle? Anything I can add to help my tank cycle or speed it up?

Thank you in advance for the help.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are done.

as soon as you change it all for clean saltwater, you will be done. 5 weeks/all tanks/always done. standard cycling chart is 30 days, and those dont factor wet sand starts, bottle bac and or feed. You are 100% cycled though test kits might not show it. can't not be cycled.

updated cycle science has us put down the test kits at this point and rely on the clear submersion time earned. You are cycled. there are $300 testers that could show your ammonia correctly (the only param that matters) but even those expensive kits are not needed at day 50+

*there are specific ways we can dose ammonia and re-prove you are ready but I would not for a specific reason: we already know you are ready, and the goal after the big swap out is to have reef ready clean water, not nitrate-laden water from an unneeded re proofing. you are simply ready, change your water and begin. we want to track this thread in several cycle study threads, pls update when life is in the tank as excellent proof. they'll be doing just fine when you add them, no matter what the approximation testers say.

OP
OP
AustinR

AustinR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the info, I will update once water is changed and fish are added

Back