Cycling question, Salifert amonia test kit error?

Raph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys sorry if theres some errors english is not my first language! i'm new to reefing and i have a question. So about 2 months ago i started my 40 gallon with liferock by carib sea and with some life sand and microbacter7 but i did a newbie error and didn't add any amonia source so about 3 weeks ago ( a month later) i dosed some quickcycle amonia by brightwell and some micobacter startxlm. Amonia quickly dropped and nitrates went pretty high but nitrites were not showing. maybe a week later i had nitrites so i figured it was wierd but didn't do anything. After another week and a lot of forum reading ( and impatience i got to admit) and groups i figured that i could dose amonia again and maybe that if in 24hrs it was gone i would be good to add fish(after a water change), long story short i'm a week later and i'm not sure if i'm good, i got no nitrites, low amonia but i'm uisng a salifert test kit and i can't tell if its 0 or 0,5 its really hard to read and i got between 5 and 10 ppm of nitrates the thing is, i got what looks to me to be diatoms so my question is, am i cycled? is it an eror in my amonia test kit? what fish could i get that is easy to care for and hardy? thank you!
I'll put some pics of the algea to show you guys
I'm using salifert testkit for nitrites, nitrates and amonia
Thanks!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about 2 months ago i started my 40 gallon with liferock by carib sea and with some life sand and microbacter7 but i did a newbie error and didn't add any amonia source so about 3 weeks ago ( a month later) i dosed some quickcycle amonia by brightwell and some micobacter startxlm.
I say your good to go. The bacteria population may not be real high but my guess it good enough for a small fish or 2.

Oh ya and howdy welcome

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Raph

Raph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys do you think i still have amonia or it's an error with me or my test kit?

Upvote 0

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the expiration date? I pulled my old salifert test kit, and the graduations are very fine between levels. If you used mb7 and are converting you should be fine. Have you tried adding some ammonium chloride and seeing how fast it's converted as a test? Not saying it's necessary, but it might be ease of mind.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Raph

Raph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the expiration date? I pulled my old salifert test kit, and the graduations are very fine between levels. If you used mb7 and are converting you should be fine. Have you tried adding some ammonium chloride and seeing how fast it's converted as a test? Not saying it's necessary, but it might be ease of mind.
it’s not expired yet but i’ll look into that thanks!

Upvote 0

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be hard to get a good reading for Ammonia with any test kit.

Microbacter7 is an ammonia source as well so you would have been cycled in days.

To add more ammonia just simulates adding a fish or two so I would have no concerns.

Your ready to add fish slowly so the bacteria can always catch up to the increase.

I have always started with Occs Clown pair.
When I stabilized water chemistry (for me 6 month) I add a rose BTA.
From there, I worked in corals around the nem. 6635AEC3-4DB4-4D6E-891C-A0E314DD09FF.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Raph

Raph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be hard to get a good reading for Ammonia with any test kit.

Microbacter7 is an ammonia source as well so you would have been cycled in days.

To add more ammonia just simulates adding a fish or two so I would have no concerns.

Your ready to add fish slowly so the bacteria can always catch up to the increase.

I have always started with Occs Clown pair.
When I stabilized water chemistry (for me 6 month) I add a rose BTA.
From there, I worked in corals around the nem. 6635AEC3-4DB4-4D6E-891C-A0E314DD09FF.jpeg
thanks! that was my plan i’ll go ahead with it!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Raph

Raph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, Thanks guys i just did some testing and it confirms what you said, amonia:0 nitrites:0 and nitrates:25 i can't be happier

Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back