Cycling question

rsach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started cycling my aquarium two days ago. I used Brightwell MicroBacter QuickCycl (1ml/5g), add around 13ml for 55g with 15g sump. On day one the ammonia is at 0 and at day 2 it's the same. Am I missing something? Shouldn't it be at 2ppm?

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easiest way would be to just dose pure ammonia or ammonium chloride. Then use something like Microbacter Start XLF for bacteria source.

Reading about QuickCycl, it has phosphates and nitrate in it, as well as ammonia, which doesnt make too much sense to me. Nitrate will automatically appear when you dose bacteria like Start XLM, so no idea why they would add extra. And I cant say I understand why PO4 is needed for cycling either. I will have to let someone smarter than me fill that in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rsach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easiest way would be to just dose pure ammonia or ammonium chloride. Then use something like Microbacter Start XLF for bacteria source.

Reading about QuickCycl, it has phosphates and nitrate in it, as well as ammonia, which doesnt make too much sense to me. Nitrate will automatically appear when you dose bacteria like Start XLM, so no idea why they would add extra. And I cant say I understand why PO4 is needed for cycling either. I will have to let someone smarter than me fill that in.

I was using live sand, so I though there is no need for introducing bacteria source. I will get microbacter. I wonder if I need to dose more ammonia to feed it.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using live sand, so I though there is no need for introducing bacteria source. I will get microbacter. I wonder if I need to dose more ammonia to feed it.

You need to get ammonia to 2ppm. I am not sure about live sand. I know that if you use actual live rock, you dont need bacteria source, as it is full of them. @brandon429 should have more info for you in that regard, so I will let him chime in.

And if you havent done so, read this thread, or at least 1st post. It has lots of info that may answer all your questions

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back